| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,277 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 13 | Hello, Can someone tell me what ing. to use to elimate the points setup? also how do you wire it? Thanks, jerry baine | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I don't know what year HEI came out, but I've got a HEI in my 235 that came out of later 250. My other "79" 250 has an HEI in it. There is a tech tip on this topic. They wire up the same way as the original dizzy, but you can eliminate the ballast resistor. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You can use the HEI like Yaki says or get a Petronics conversion kit. The factory HEI came out in 75 but the first 2-3 years had a separate coil for the 6 cyl. models. Is is OK but the coil in cap is the preferred one. When I convert to HEI I tie into the pink wire on the back of the ign. switch with a 12 gauge wire. Hook it to the bat term on the HEI unit. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | HEI is the way to go. 1974 and 75 are external coils, from thereon they were coil in cap. AFAIK the caps don't interchange. Since the HEI was designed for emissions All OEM HEI distributors to varying degrees limit centrifugal and vacuum advance compared to points distributors. That may not be a problem depending on what you want. A Pertronix would get around that or recurve the HEI.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 | If you call Summit and tell them what year and engine they will give you part numbers for the kit. I used it to keep the OEM distributer in mine. Also tell them the delco P/N on your distributer. When you look it up on the web site all it shows is that year having HEI. So with the P/N your can get it. Or go to the scrap yard and grab a HEI. Good luck | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 188 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 188 | I've had both. A pertronix kit for my original distributor and an Hei I bought from skip white on ebay. I prefer the hei. Hei was the best thing for driveability I did to my truck. Cold startup and driveaway is far superior to the pertronix kit. If you want a stock looking motor go pertronix. If you want better starting and running and aren't concerned with looks go Hei. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | HEI for the late L6 came out in very late 1974 and ran through about mid year 1976. It is a bolt-in for any 250/292 cid with points. Find the 20GA pink/purple wire that comes from the bulkhead connector and goes to a connector near the coil where it becomes yellow and forks to the stock coil and the starter. Remove it from the bulkhead connector on. Get terminals for the bulkhead connector from NAPA. Part numbers for the male and female pins are 72145 and 72147 respectively. Install a 12 GA (minimum) wire in place of the one you removed, and run it to the IGNITION connector on the HEI cap or POSITIVE on the HIGH OUTPUT remote coil. While there MAY be some smog control L6 HEI distributors, I have been unable to find any evidence in GM parts books, but you CAN get an adjustable Vacuum can and spring kits. Just a note, but on the cab side of the bulkhead connector, EVERY truck that came with a late L6, that's '62 on, that I have personally worked on has a 12GA to the ignition switch! You get more bang for your buck doing this than anything else to your late L6! Also, I have converted remote coil HEIs to "Coil in Cap" HEI by changing the cap and coil. I'm sure it will work the other way, too, but I have never tried it. The HEI gets its reduction in pollution from its clean burn, not it's advance curve.
Best wishes,
Les | | |
| |
| |