Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (classicchevs),
101
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,093 Posts1,056,474 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | I have been searching for any information here in the stovebolt archives on dropping a 350ci small block into my 53 1/2 ton chevy but I can not find it. I KNOW many have done this..anyone chronicled it? Anyone have pix or a how to...any companies making modded engine mounts for this or is it still a total fab job?
anyone know?
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | What transmission are you going to run behind the 350? The answer to that question may alter the answer to how to drop that sbc in.
There are plenty of posts that deal with dropping a sbc into an ad truck. The most notable problem is the clearance issues with the exhaust and the steering box.
Are you trying to run the 350 with the stock type of suspension? Mustang II? Camaro clip? Again the answer to this question might alter the answer to your original question. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | Maybe I should have searched SBC instead of 350ci. I am sorry I should have added in some more specs. You asked about transmission and for that I am not sure. Probably what ever is easiest. I do not know too much about the 350 trans options as I have never owned one. I plan on using a Helix Suspension Mustang II clip with 2 inch drop spindles w/power brakes and power steering. I have looked into a modified firewall with a 3 inch recess built into the panel to accommodate my engine.
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | I have a 6.0 in my 1952 3100 with a C4 front and rear suspension from http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/. The engine mounts are the same for the 350.This front end can be bought as a kit or welded .The only thing I would do different is buy the complet frame .I grafted the new front and rear on the old frame then added a x member. I would suggest a 4 speed auto trans 700r4 or a 5 speed standard trans. good luck | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Dropped a small block in my 52panel using the original frame and front suspension. I did put power steering on it. Pics are in my photobucket below. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | Hey achipmunk, what transmission is that on the back of your sb? how did those mounts work out for you?
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | Achipmunk, I love your pix...again making it look so easy!
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 | I'm planning on dropping a 350 (L98 from '87 Trans Am, TPI swapped out for a carb) with a Muncie M21 into my 49. Front suspension for the time being is stock, but the plan is to use a MII type set up.
what do you all think?
Last edited by tonkadawg; 01/17/2011 5:38 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 |
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 | yup, I don't know why but, a carb set up is just cool | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | mind you I know nothing of transmissions but why a muncie M21
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2008 Posts: 7 | I wanted a manual tranny that could stand up to some power and wouldn't break the bank. A friend found the M21 for a great price (for about half of what I was seeing them go for) - too hard to pass up. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 280 | how does it compare to a turbo 350 or 700r4
*UNDER CONSTRUCTION* 1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto. My Project BoltI hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
| | |
| |