Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Bill Hanlon),
181
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,239 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 | I posted this over on the one-ton section, and got NO response.......so.......thought maybe some of the Big Truck guys might chime in. I have a 64 C30, that started life as a fire truck. At that time, it had an integrated bumper on the body that I have since removed. I am about to put a period-correct flatbed on it, and am looking for some ideas for a rear bumper/hitch/step, for the rear. I'd love to see some pics of the set ups that people are using, as I have to fab one from scratch. Anyone???? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Just a thought you might consider when you fab your hitch. I made a hitch for a 84 chevy school bus a few years back which of course has a high rear bumper. I made it to have a receiver so the hitch would barely show and not hang down to the height needed for the trailer.
I got a beefy 8in drop receiver to use when I wanted to tow which brought the ball down to the correct height.
I know the hitch is going to show on a flat bed, but using this idea will at least minimize what has to hang down from the frame and possibly look better.
Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 | Thanks Glasman......excellent advice. I'm not a welder, but I can weld. I'm pretty good at fabricating stuff, but like to learn from others who have already done it. Pictures are really helpful as well, and I'm still hoping to see some different "treatments" | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Here's a picture of the hitch on my 48 2 ton, that will have a flat bed. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2429400960080251109gnNExENothing fancy at all, it's not supposed to be. Flat bed trucks didn't really have bumpers, so just having the hitch is fine with me. It's a factory made one for something newer that has the same frame width, I just drilled the 6 holes in the frame to bolt it on. With a ball in place it'll be a step of sorts, or you could make a special step to slide in in place of a ball mount if you wanted to. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 | Thanks Grigg! I like that......I also like that truck! Looks like you have it rigged for test purposes! When is the cab going on it, or has it already? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 | Very cool rig! Thanks for sharing..... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | If you intend to have a hoist on your truck then you will need to acomodate that into your hitch design. If you use an ICC bumper design it will hit the ground when you dump. I've made some foldable ones but unfortunately don't have any pictures. Fortunately I can remember how I did it however. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 153 | Good point Dave, however, my flatbed is not going to dump....
Last edited by kerry3; 01/13/2011 1:08 PM.
| | |
| |