Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,344 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | I've never been satisfied with cleaning up tools after a particularly dirty job. The handles are either dirty or slimy. It wastes hand cleaner. For Christmas, I received as a present a container of pre-moistened wipes impregnated with citrus hand cleaner. They are intended to be hand wipes, but don't quite clean enough. However, they work GREAT to clean up tools. Now my rubber handled pliers, screwdrivers, ratchets, and other tools are clean for the next time I start a project. Recommended. Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 273 | Those "baby wipes" used for cleaning up babies' "privates" when you change diapers are pretty good too. Its been a looonnnng time since I used 'em, and my wife STILL won't let me forget!  She howled the first time she found out I "stole" a box to use in the garage, but they sure worked good! Try 'em, and you'll see. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 247 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 247 | It is worth a try. That is part of the job to clean up after you are done. One thing I hate is loaning out my tools and and having them come back dirty. Jim | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 | The problem I've had with them is they dry out in the box. Still work good to wipe grease off tools dry.
_____________ Floyd If we choose being kind over being right,we will be right every time. Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience. Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it is precious nonetheless. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | I usually just wipe mine off with a clean rag. Cleaners will take off all the oils that may help prevent corrosion. Otherwise a regular wrench can be cleaned in a dishwasher. If I did that I would still wipe them with a penetrating oil. I would even use gun oil on them if I wanted to keep them from corroding. Gun oil smells good too. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 102 | Can of brake cleaner and a rag usually works for me. Plus, by the time you get down wiping down all the tools your hands pretty are clean from it too. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I'm with Steve, too clean is a breeding ground for rust monsters.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | Brake or carb. cleaner for the really dirty stuff. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Now my rubber handled pliers, screwdrivers, ratchets, and other tools are clean for the next time I start a project. My use is limited to plastic handles and plated items. No rust problems there. Bill | | |
| |