The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,464
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Iv got a 1962 chevy short bed 1/2 ton FLEET SIDE Ive lowered with 4" springs from cpp.Installed an adjustable pan hard bar and doshtech shocks.Im having trouble trying to figure out how much clearance for tire width i need to leave.im worried if I go with an 8" rim it will get into the finder lip.so im looking at 7".I dont know how much left to right suspension travel there is as well as body roll if this plays in to the equation.Any advice will be greatly appriciated.Thanks, scott

Last edited by plunk; 01/09/2011 3:26 AM.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
different back-spacing is available on 8"rims they still might work for you.that would still keep body roll a consideration however

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
check the side movement with the truck jacked up and then loaded down (springs collapsed) you will find the Dean thing moves quite a bit. I have air bags and lower it at shows. I had to reposition and lengthen the pannard bar to keep it between the fenders.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 381
We generally allow 1.5" - 2" clearance from tire to bed side.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
I have a '65 with 5" lowering springs.

Did you buy an adjustable panhard bar? If not than the rear axle is already pushed to the right. If you put an adjustable panhard bar in you can center the axle.

The axle moves about 3/4" during travel and full articulation. The following link (See post #17) has data I created that shows axle movement http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=430738&highlight=track+bar

I have about 1" clearance on on my truck but I like the look of having the tire close the the fender. Check out the link below to view a photo of my truck for ref. I hope this helps.

I don't know why this post was moved to the "The Hi-Po Shop" forum? It would be best if it were in the 60-66 forum. Thanks.

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 01/10/2011 1:42 AM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
It was moved here because this is the forum for modifications from stock.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
I bought pieces and parts from Speedway 5/8 swedged sleeve and right and left threaded rod ends, total cost about $25. Pages 79-80 latest catalog.

Make it as long as possible by relocating a couple Bolts This will reduce the ammount of side movement.

Last edited by gazim; 01/10/2011 3:16 PM.
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Thanks for the info fellas.I did install an adjustable panhard bar,Ive decided to buy 8" rims with 4.5" back spaceing.This should leave an inch on each side with a 235/55 R18 tire.I HOPE!


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0