| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Gdads51, Phak1, Joe H, Youngin' Tut 59, Greg_H, carbking, Wayne67vert),
99
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,137 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 9 | Iv got a 1962 chevy short bed 1/2 ton FLEET SIDE Ive lowered with 4" springs from cpp.Installed an adjustable pan hard bar and doshtech shocks.Im having trouble trying to figure out how much clearance for tire width i need to leave.im worried if I go with an 8" rim it will get into the finder lip.so im looking at 7".I dont know how much left to right suspension travel there is as well as body roll if this plays in to the equation.Any advice will be greatly appriciated.Thanks, scott
Last edited by plunk; 01/09/2011 3:26 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 843 | different back-spacing is available on 8"rims they still might work for you.that would still keep body roll a consideration however | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | check the side movement with the truck jacked up and then loaded down (springs collapsed) you will find the Dean thing moves quite a bit. I have air bags and lower it at shows. I had to reposition and lengthen the pannard bar to keep it between the fenders. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 381 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 381 | We generally allow 1.5" - 2" clearance from tire to bed side. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | I have a '65 with 5" lowering springs. Did you buy an adjustable panhard bar? If not than the rear axle is already pushed to the right. If you put an adjustable panhard bar in you can center the axle. The axle moves about 3/4" during travel and full articulation. The following link (See post #17) has data I created that shows axle movement http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=430738&highlight=track+barI have about 1" clearance on on my truck but I like the look of having the tire close the the fender. Check out the link below to view a photo of my truck for ref. I hope this helps. I don't know why this post was moved to the "The Hi-Po Shop" forum? It would be best if it were in the 60-66 forum. Thanks.
Last edited by Hot Rod John; 01/10/2011 1:42 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | It was moved here because this is the forum for modifications from stock. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I bought pieces and parts from Speedway 5/8 swedged sleeve and right and left threaded rod ends, total cost about $25. Pages 79-80 latest catalog.
Make it as long as possible by relocating a couple Bolts This will reduce the ammount of side movement.
Last edited by gazim; 01/10/2011 3:16 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 9 | Thanks for the info fellas.I did install an adjustable panhard bar,Ive decided to buy 8" rims with 4.5" back spaceing.This should leave an inch on each side with a 235/55 R18 tire.I HOPE! | | |
| |
| |