The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ole49GMC), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
To achieve the best final results what is the proper procedure for painting a sandblasted fender..?

do you have to sand the panel back smooth or or is it better to leave it abrasive for better adhesion?

I am sorry if this is a repeat post, I have searched off and on for four days and I cant find what I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I just prime it.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
rattle can?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
I don't think you will get a good end result by starting with a rattle can. A good paintjob will require some equipment.

Mike

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
mind you I am asking because I have no paint experience but whats the difference between rattle can primer and paint gun primer....I am pretty awesome with a rattle can, I have no problems getting an amazingly even and professional looking job down...is it the quality of the primer or something?

What kind of equipment? I have a compressor so a spray gun? or more than that?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Fresh, clean metal deserves epoxy primer. It will not allow rust through and will take overcoats well (if properly prepped). People have reported finding epoxy primer in rattle-cans but none have reported back after using it.

Whatever you use, make sure it is compatible with whatever other sealers, primers, surfacers, etc and finish coats that you will be using (use products within the same "paint system" to be safest).

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
I don't think I have any intentions of painting my own truck but i will need to prime my sandblasted areas as I go so they do not re-rust before I bring the entire truck to the body shop for paint...best way to do this?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
Silverado,
Go with what TCLederman recommends and stay with the same paint system through out. One product does not always perform well with another.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by Silverado_9c3
I don't think I have any intentions of painting my own truck but i will need to prime my sandblasted areas as I go so they do not re-rust before I bring the entire truck to the body shop for paint...best way to do this?

In that case, find out what system the body shop uses and choose an epoxy primer in that system. Or, ask the shop what THEY recommend (so that what you do is compatible with their system).


Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
good plan...
just so I am clear though, it is not necessary to sand smooth the panels after sandblasting them though correct?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
that's correct, good sandblasting leaves the surface with good "tooth" for initial sealing primer - and as said, epoxy primer is the correct thing to use

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
great, thanks guys!


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 76
Silverado,
I use a cleaning solvent designed for removing all dirt and other stuff from the metal, then apply a couple coats of a urathane or epoxy primer,(urathane is less expensive) and wet sand with a 600/800 grit. Both will act as a filler for very light scratches.Sounds and is alot of work, but remember if the primer coats are not done right, the problems will follow all the way thru. Good luck.

Mike

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
what is the name of the solvent?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Since you said in preporation for final paint then just painting for a temporary rust prevention is not the plan I take it? If so then what you will need is the smoothest metal you can get before you put any primer on it and that will mean needing to know what it was blasted with and what is it's present condition. Until you know that I wouldn't worry about the type of paint to use. It could be several things.
Remember, you'll never see a body shop take a car directly from the blasting room to the paint room. It must be prepared first unless your looking for a homebrewed paint job that will stick out like a sore thumb. No paint job is ever going to be better than the preparation that was put into it. And it's true of your garage door as well as what's in the garage.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 280
in hind sight my orignal post should have read :
I am slowly sandblasting parts of my truck for proper panel repair (filling) and modification (patches). After sandblasting I am concerned about re-rusting. What is the best way to prevent this from happening whilst not creating more work for the body shop that will be painting my truck in the end.

This is my action plan example:

Sandblast fender

hammer and dolly any large damaged areas

remove rusted sections and weld in patch panels (not necessary on my fenders)

apply filler and sand it smooth

primer entire fender (rust prevention only)

Should I orbital sand the entire fender smooth before spraying a protective coat? will the body shop sand my entire truck smooth before they do anything?


*UNDER CONSTRUCTION*
1953 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 ton-previously abandoned resto.

My Project Bolt

I hate when people leave their brains at home. Seriously when did critical thinking and customer service go out the window? How about common sense and striving to go the extra mile? Idiots, surrounded by idiots it tell you.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Epoxy Primer - and, be sure that the product you use is compatible with upper coat products that you or others will be later applying. Whatever products you use will (should) have product information sheets that explain what the product may be applied to and how to apply additional products on top.

There are (almost) no rattle can epoxy primers. Any other primers will let moisture through the primer and rust will eventually form on the metal.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 275
It doesn't matter which Epoxy Primer or 2K primer you use. All top coat are compatible with them.

The route you should follow is:

Sandblast as many parts as you can.

Apply one coat of Epoxy Primer and let dry for approx 1 hour. Then apply two coats of 2K primer. Put parts away until you are ready to work any dents.

Epoxy Primer is hard to sand, however, if you apply 2 coats of 2K (which is easy to sand) you can work your dents through the 2K. You can then block sand with 320 wet to get a nice flat surface. Shoot another coat of 2K primer and block with 400 wet for solid colors or 600 for metallic color.

The epoxy primer will block any moisture from getting to the metal, the 2K will give you an easy surface to sand.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars


No better smell than that of fresh paint. I've been building and painting cars/trucks for 47 years. Not gonna stop now.
http://www.coxcustomcars.com/



Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Just a couple of thoughts on the matter- - - - - -when I ran a body shop, I would absolutely refuse to paint a vehicle with somebody else's prime job on it. The only exception to that rule would be if I removed all the primer to bare metal and started over. Primer is the base that all the rest of the paint job uses to hang onto the metal. Any mistake or application error will trash the paint job before you start.

Sandblasted sheet metal will have ripples in the grain structure of the metal that cannot be sanded smooth- - - -don't bother trying. Multiple layers of a high-build primer such as self-etching epoxy might cover up the ripples, but you'll need to prime, then sand, prime again, sand with a finer grit of paper, and prime and sand at least one more time. I would start with 180 grit, then 220, and maybe 320 before applying the color coat. Once you start priming, don't let the primer get exposed to weather- - - it's porous, and soaks up water like a sponge. If you drive a primed vehicle and it rains, the absorbed rainwater is trapped under the paint when you get around to applying the color coat. Eventually that moisture results in rust under the paint, or bubbles from poor adhesion of the color coat. Before applying the first coat of primer, spend a LOT of time with a high-pressure air hose, blowing as much of the sand residue off the metal as possible. A less aggressive blasting media such as glass beads or baking soda does a lot less damage to the metal. NEVER use sand on sheet metal.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Jerry that's very good information until the part of NEVER use sand on sheet metal.Technique and sand size will prevent any damage.I would love to use glass beads or baking soda that would cost so much my projects would come to a stand still.When I remove paint from a aircraft we use the dry ice blaster not a cheap way but the customer can pay for it.


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I've used sand on many rigs-soda/glass beads/walnut shells etc cost way too much for my small budget. A lot depends on the person blasting.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0