The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, jmoore, ronsway, tclederman, 1955 1 Series), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,085
Posts1,056,329
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
Does the air cleaner come apart to allow R&R of the foam insert? Somehow I have not figured that out! smile

Thanks!


1956 Chevy 3600 Dually
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I'm not about to tell you there's no such thing as a foam oil bath filter because I really don't know but all of the oil bath filters I've seen have copper gauze as the filtering agent. There are vendors that sell replacement copper gauze so there must be a way to change it out. I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowledge about it than I have. Good luck.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
I have some off a Studebaker that are around the same age and they come apart. Once you take the lid off and dump out the old oil, you can clean the bottom half easy enough. In the lid section you should see a snap ring around the center section, mine was on the out side squeezing inward. Pry this off then the two sections will come apart. I had to pry mine apart since its a press fit on the outer edges. The horse hair looking stuff can then be washed.

Joe

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
cfesting:

This tip was passed along to me. I haven't tried it as my truck seems to be in a million pieces. But I will use it when it gets back running.

It's horsehair. Just wash out bottom of assembly as best you can and fill it to the line or arrow pointing down with ATF and this will make it self - cleaning , the next 3,000 mile routine service you'll notice a buncha silty sediment in the bottom of the oil cup , wipe it out , re-fill with fresh ATF and motor on happily . in time you'll find less and less silt in there as the horsehair cleans and runs the dust back into the oil cup after you shut it off...

The brand or typ of ATF isn't important , I use the cheap stuff from the .99 CENTS store. Don't use Typ F or your engine will _explode_ .

Hope this helps,




Kent S Butler
'56 Chevy 3100
Houston, TX

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0