Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Robert Crandall, C10 - C90 Bill, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, Peggy M, D B Cooper),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,144 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 15 | I bought a 38 Chevy truck and it is missing the piece that goes over the top of the radiator. The radiator support rods attach to this piece. I have the dog house but the top piece is missing. My question is , is this piece a seperate piece that is bolted or rivited on?. Also is this piece the same on cars or trucks?. Any help appreciated. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | On my coupe the piece that the V-rod attaches to is spot welded to the core support (dog house). I doubt that the part is the same for the car and truck but I don't know that for a fact.
Last edited by Tiny; 12/28/2010 1:08 AM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | It is not the same for the car and the truck. The piece is for 38 Chevrolet trucks only. No other year truck or car will work with the possible exception of the 38 GMC truck. That is to say maybe the GMC piece might fit. The good thing, however is that any size Chevrolet truck will fit. It is spot welded on to the side pieces along the top flange.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 | I think they used to take them loose so the radiator could be removed easer. I have seen a few like that. Theres no other reason to remove the spot welds and go to the trouble of bolting them back.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | I agree, Joe. My 37, like yours, is set up where there is no way to pull the radiator unless you either pull the front sheet metal or unbolt the radiator surround from the fenders, lean it forward and pull the radiator straight up vertically. I've done it enought to know I don't like doing it. Next time, I will most likely drill the spot welds and bolt it back together, unless someone can tell me why that isn't a good idea.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I didn't realize a '37 was so different from a '38. I unbolted the radiator and pulled it straight up & out. I did have to pull the hood to do that though.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 1 | Hi, I just took a look at my 38 as we are taking it all apart. According to my factory GM parts manuals, the 1938 chevy upper rad support is indeed year specific, and NOT interchangeable with a 38 GMC. Anyway, send me an email, and I will send you a few pictures of my 38 upper rad brace.
Regards, Jay | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | In the manual for the 38 car, they make a big deal of how easy it is to pull the radiator without removing all the sheet metal. I would say that they realized what a pain the old design was when pulling the radiator. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | The 38 car actually has an opening across the top piece through which you can pull the radiator straight up. There is another piece that goes over the opening to basically hide the top of the radiator.
Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 12/29/2010 9:44 PM.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | There is another piece that goes over the opening to basically hide the top of the radiator. On the car?? The only thing over the top of the radiator on my coupe is the hood. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | I've got a friend that has a 38 2 door Sedan and it has a nice cover that goes over the radiator. It may be custom made, but he says it came with the car.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Someone in the past probably made it in an attempt to get more air through the radiator. On an original car there's no place to even attach a cover.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
| |