The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (SNOYL, Hotrod Lincoln, MNSmith), 81 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#704584 12/18/2010 11:16 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Could someone please tell me if a '40 1 1/2 ton rear end will bolt right into a '36 1 1/2 ton low cab truck. Thanks

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Welll...it measures up ok and Lou MacMillans web site gives me hope. Moving on, I have the ring and pinion out of the 40 rear end to change the 6.1 to 5.4 and can't find a source for the rivets in the pinion coupling. Would also like to find a pinion nut...Can anyone help with this ?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Have you tried "Big Flats Rivits"?

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
I guess I could use mild steel rod, that's easy. Do you have any "big flat rivets" that your not using. I'm more concerned about busting the locking tab off of the pinion nut and not having a decent solution to that. Plenty of you guys have done this before so I'm just looking for a bit of a heads up before I get into a mess.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Big Flats Rivits is a rivit company...do a google search for them, they sell rivits, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Happy Holidays!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Thanks Mike. I thought you were joking as they are in fact Big Fat Rivets. I'll give them a try.

Happy Holidays !

David

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
Hey David, that's Big Flats not Big Fat rivits. They are located in Big Flats, NY

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
I may have a NOS pinion nut. Will check but which rear end do you have?

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Thanks. That's a bit of good news. Mine is HB 17724.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Thanks Mike. I checked them out but they don't really have what I need. Looks like I'm going to use some soft steel and use an old coupling to form one head and peen the other in place.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
That number HB 17724 does not help me. Is it a 2 speed or single speed? Is the nut 1.25" thick 1 19/32" dia. x 16 ?
This is what the Chevy parts book states.
Do you know model 1940 truck it came from?

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
It is a single speed rear end and the nut does have those dimensions and thread count. I do not know the model of the truck that the rear end came out of. Thanks.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 165
OK I have that nut NOS and I think I have the coupling rivets also. I will check later. E-mail me at [email protected] for more info.

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Thanks. Will do.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0