The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#702923 12/12/2010 11:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
My 450 gmc coe with the 302 squeals the belt at high rpm. I've tightend "the wizz" out of the belt, but upon looking at it closer I think that the belt is not the right width. It runs down in the bottom of the pulley grooves. All that is on the belt is a NAPA number(25-11000), but I think that it is a "A" belt or about 1/2" width. I would guess it needs a "B" width belt, but don't know. Does anyone know which width belt is correct and perhaps what length. I've got to pull the alternator again so now is a good time to make the switch. BTW all the belt pulls is the alternator and the fan. Thanks all.
Scott


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
If the belt is the correct size try belt dressing it works great!


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
A 302 uses either a 5/8 or a 7/8 belt. If your belt is too narrow, it will slip down into the bottom of the pulley and you never will get it to quit squealing. V belts were made to run on the V. If it has an alternator, it's not original and you may have a narrower pulley on the alternator than the fan and the crank. I would try a 7/8". I think the length is about 46".

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Scott's50, the o.e.m. p/n is 2190637 which crosses to Dayco 30445, that is a wide belt which is 44.5" long, hope that helps.

3B #703056 12/13/2010 1:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 173
Thanks everyone, I was sure a wider belt was in order and ya'll confirmed that for me. I'll pick one up today and that should cure the problem. BTW I swapped the alternator in when the generator quit, now the alternator isn't alternating, we've really progressed haven't we? The generator lasted 50+ years the alternator about 50 minutes, oh well.

Thanks again,
Scott


1947, 1950, & 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
1952 GMC 450 series Cab Over Engine
1946 Chevrolet 2 Ton

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0