The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, 55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#690774 10/31/2010 10:04 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
I've a gutted '79 C35 w/v8 mounts & I wanna drop in my '53 235 w/side&front mounts. I need motor mount ideas. I'll can scab together the rest since it's just a barnyard/field rig for now.

Last edited by DADS53; 11/25/2010 10:14 PM.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
It just might be that you are the first person trying to do this swap. Seems kind of backwards installing a motor that is 26 years older than the chassis. Good luck to you.
John

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
This should be a easy install. There are no side mount kits designed for this and no stock parts combo that can be used, but since both engines are side mounted and the mounts are in about the same place, you should be able to fab up something.
The cable throttle might be the hardest part of it all, but that is doable.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Chuckling to myself, "I'm getting that impression", 40 views and 1 reply. Yes, I know, it is backwards but when the parts are laying around...why not. It's just for a farm truck (to run ~5x/year) off pavement and it's keep the parts off the ground, all together and running. I figure I'll position the engine/trans all hooked up, take measurements then weld-up some 1/4" flatbar to get from the block to the v8 mounts; mod. the 465 mount onto the 420 then the rest is easy. So does a 235 need to sit level or low in the back?
Thanks

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks Dave. Yup, I don't even care if I have to use an old choke cable to operate the throttle. Hahaha, easy to teach the kid about stick shifting (pull throttle 1/4 way out, ease off the clutch and away we bounce...) Oh, thanks for the rain. We can use all we can get here on the East side.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Why not?
Keep us informed, including pictures.
Good luck.


Professional Novice
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
I plan to lift the 235 and place it in the bay of the '79 today but I've a quick question for you all.

Where/how is the best way to attach the chain to the complete 235? Along with the rocker cover, carburetor, fuel pump, is there something else I need to pull off to minimize accidental damage?

Pics coming soon. You gotta see the rust in that '79 cab, I think it was a Seattle truck. Oh well, no tears lost when I hack-fit this combo in.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Getting back to the level of the engine, just eye ball the carb base and set it where it level with the ground when you get all the weight on the truck. It doesn't have to be right on, but thats a good place to start. Since its a Field truck, driveline angles should be close enough if the carb is setting pretty level.

When lifting the engine, you might try a couple of heavy nylon straps, they will conform to the surrounding engine parts with out denting them.

Joe

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks Joe. I'll give your advice a try.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
I plan to put this:[image]http://bluebarnfarm.webs.com/235L%20copy.jpg[/image]

Into this:[image]http://bluebarnfarm.webs.com/79FPass%20copy.jpg[/image]

More to come.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Well, I finally got around to pulling the power-pack from the '53, removed the trans. and am about to pull off the Bell-housing. It looks like there's 4 bolts inside the BH going into the block besides the 2 top ones on it's outside.

Am I right to regret that I have to pull off the pressure-plate, clutch & flywheel just to get to the 4 inside bolts?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by DADS53
..
Am I right to regret that I have to pull off the pressure-plate, clutch & flywheel just to get to the 4 inside (bellhousing) bolts?
Correct!


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks Grigg.

Is the flywheel pressed on or will it come off "easy" once the bolts are out?

Edit: Whew, it slid off easy. Project is about 1/2 done now. A '53 car 235, '55 truck bell-housing and a '67 SM420 all fit together nicely smile
Four more bolts and I can set it into the '79 engine-bay.

Thanks to the Stovebolt forums' knowledge I knew what parts to get for this project.

One more question. What size/length/pitch/grade of bolts hold the SM420 to the bell-housing?

Edit: I figured it out; 1/2x13 by 1&1/4" long w/lock washers.

Kicking myself, now I've got to work in the snow.

Last edited by DADS53; 11/22/2010 10:56 PM.

'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Teaser, one step closer.

What a pitr. Took most of the day to get the '79 rad. cradle off; was a good thing I didn't know how hard it would be or I'd a torched it off. No less than 4 different style screw-heads and a couple a metric heads tossed in for good measure as well. All in all not too bad; no cuts, bruises or frostbite.

So, next is to yank the remaining exhaust outta the way and swing the power-pack in place for measurements. If the temp. stays above 0 maybe I can scab some brackets on Friday.

Stay warm.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
It's in!
Pics are at http://bluebarnfarm.webs.com/projects.htm

Now for the real work.

I need your input.

1. I thought the 235 engine mounts were the same distance back from the front of the block? They look not to be. Are my glasses crooked?

2. Does anyone know if the 420 came with a 3" longer rear yoke? A longer output yoke would make things easier.

3. Advice? I was thinking it would be easiest to remove the '79s rear support & cut the firewall to slide everything back to the driveline then fabricate bell-housing+engine mounts and make a housing to cover the firewall hole. Anyone try something like this?

Last edited by DADS53; 11/26/2010 10:58 PM.

'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Dads53,

Yes, the passenger-side mount is at least a 1/2" further aft. I recently put a 1954 261 in a street roadster and discovered this difference. Should not be a problem as the frame-to-engine mount brackets needs to fabricated anyway.

I don't know about a longer yoke for the 420, but it seems that making a longer driveshaft would be easier than cutting into the firewall.

Hoyt

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Oh good, I thought my eyes were going bad.

This truck uses a support bearing and the front shaft is solid. If I push the front shaft forward in the support bearing I don't think there's enough spline left on the back shaft to make the difference. I'll try that tomorrow. What's the acceptable minimum amount of overlap in a slip-joint?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
There is about 4" (3 1/2" of spline) of shaft in the barrel of the slip-joint so there might be enough to cheat a couple inches forward and connect to the 420 since it's just that much shorter than to original SM465.

Any advice on how much spline contact in the barrel would be a minimum?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9
Farmers also did this with 216 dipper engines. Put a 216 dipper in a 1962 pickup.


Buy,Sale,Trade inline Chevy/GMC engines and parts. International shipper, custom crate builder, 74% freight discount 48 state. James~503-740-6783
http://www.JJinlines.com
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Perhaps a SM420 specialist like Novac could answer your questions about the yoke with a longer spline engagement. I recall from a machine design course nearly fifty years ago that a self-centering spline should have an engagemrnt length of at least twice the spline diameter, but I cannot verify that.

53moneypit also had some good comments last year on driveshafts and spline engagement driveshafts and spline engagement.

Hoyt

Last edited by hoyt; 11/30/2010 12:11 AM. Reason: added more info
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks guys!
Well, I've found yet another "challenge". I was just going to slide the driveshaft forward about 2.25"(through the support bearing leaving about 2" of spline contact) to bolt it to the trans when I noticed that the shaft Dia. is larger under the bearing than from there back to the splines. So, I guess I'll be bolting a plate to the crossmember holes and then bolt the bearing to the plate a couple inches forward. I didn't get to it today, too much to do then hurt my back trying to get it done. Time for an icepack. At least I'll have a little time to "visualize" what I'll be doing next.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Finally, I'm "back" in action; sorry, I couldn't help myself. Back took me down for almost a week this time; "ice is my friend".

Mocked up the transplant today. The BH hits the floor just under the firewall, the support bearing cradle is slid as far forward as x-member allows, the slip-joint has about 2" of spline contact and the motor-mounts almost line up.

Now to get some flat-bar to mount trans to its pad and then use angle or flat-bar or tubing or combo thereof to bolt to the block and weld to the V8 engine plates. Any advice?

New dilemma though. I'm not sure if I have the '79's clutch linkage, just a rod pushing down out of the floor when I push the pedal. Might be a challenge to get the clutch linkage setup.
Any linkage idea's?

New pics are at my site.


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
I'm learning about 70's chevy mechanical clutch linkages off the net. I might have to work some voodoo to make an engine-side bracket to mount the Zbar. However, my question probably applies to all mechanical clutch linkages.

Does the adjustable rod from the clutch fork to the zbar have to be parallel to the crank/trans shafts or can I get away with it being at an angle?

My 50's chev's linkages pull from behind and they look parallel.

Anyone?


'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 63
Update...dang snow.
The top shells of v8 mounts are too narrow and hit the oilpan flange on 235 block and trimming the shell might compromise their strength. Latest plan: remove v8 mounts, use flatbar in the 235 cushions and weld squaretube risers down to the crossmember. Rear trans bracket will be similar to one I saw in a "sloppy 2nds" article. I might be able to scab the zbar between the foot starter pivot shaft on the bellhousing and the frame.

Last edited by DADS53; 12/22/2010 1:48 AM.

'53 BelAir 261 3spd/OD 4dr
'54 3100 235 3spd
'79 C30 with a '51 235-'57Bellhousing-'67SM420-14bolt dually
'89 V3500 350/465/205 SRW CC
One Chevy just isn't enough.
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Any progress reports?


Professional Novice

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0