The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#700375 12/03/2010 1:27 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
I have the chance to pick up a nice (54) 235 but I am not sure if it is out of a car or a truck? The PO says it came out of a 54 pickup at least that is what the guy he bought it from said. Can you tell by just looking at the motor what it came out of?
Thanks

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Post the number from the distributor pad and someone with a book will tell you.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Cletis are you refering to the number just to the left of the distibutor towards the back of the motor

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
yes.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #700613 12/04/2010 12:06 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
I had a chance to get a number off the motor it is 040II85F54X is it a car or a truck motor???
Thanks

mperk #700626 12/04/2010 12:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I'll give it a try,but I'm not sure what the I or 185 stands for.

040II85F54X

04=assembly month=April
01=Assembly day=1st
185=???
F=plant=Flint
54 year
x=type=Truck 235 manual Transmission

1954 codes


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tim's got it right for the F54X

0401185 is the unit number (sequence number)

Look right above the 1954 engine information to see the the changed format in 1954. However, there is not 1954 truck information on that page.

This page has better information about the 1954 serial numbers.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Tim,your second link looks like same one I linked,I think.


Tim




1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
Tim,

You may want to check your first link listed as....

"Look right above the 1954 engine information"

It's coming up as...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_US_senators_and_congressmen_are_convicted_felons


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235
Oilrag #700747 12/04/2010 10:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Tom. I fixed it (I got distracted by a Greasy Spoon thread).


Tim,

That's right - dis you see the decoding of the number pre-fix in the engine serial number?
Both links in my post now show how to interpret the 7-digit sequence of numbers in 1954.

0401185 is the unit number (sequence number)
"Unit Numbers: start with 1001 at each plant."

Maybe I am reading this wrong? That is a high engine number for 1954, unless the engine unit/sequence number is for all engines (car and truck)?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0