Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,266 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 | I have the chance to pick up a nice (54) 235 but I am not sure if it is out of a car or a truck? The PO says it came out of a 54 pickup at least that is what the guy he bought it from said. Can you tell by just looking at the motor what it came out of? Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Post the number from the distributor pad and someone with a book will tell you. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 | Cletis are you refering to the number just to the left of the distibutor towards the back of the motor | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 38 | I had a chance to get a number off the motor it is 040II85F54X is it a car or a truck motor??? Thanks | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I'll give it a try,but I'm not sure what the I or 185 stands for. 040II85F54X 04=assembly month=April 01=Assembly day=1st 185=??? F=plant=Flint 54 year x=type=Truck 235 manual Transmission 1954 codes 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Tim,your second link looks like same one I linked,I think.
Tim
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Thanks, Tom. I fixed it (I got distracted by a Greasy Spoon thread).
Tim,
That's right - dis you see the decoding of the number pre-fix in the engine serial number? Both links in my post now show how to interpret the 7-digit sequence of numbers in 1954.
0401185 is the unit number (sequence number) "Unit Numbers: start with 1001 at each plant."
Maybe I am reading this wrong? That is a high engine number for 1954, unless the engine unit/sequence number is for all engines (car and truck)?
| | |
| |