| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,373 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 | Just acquired this beauty: http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/alexrex20/DSC08666.jpgIt's in OK shape. The interior needs some work and there's some rust coming through the new-ish paintjob, but it's a solid truck, albeit ridiculously underpowered. I have plans for a Vortec 8100 gasser + Allison combo; will probably pull the whole setup out of my '06 Chevy 2500HD and sell the truck as a roller. Anyway, I'm interested in making this my new tow rig, either with a flatbed hauler on the back, or with a utility flatbed that's setup for FW/GN or bumper pulls. Is there anything "factory" that can be swapped over relatively easy? Or do I need to have one made from scratch at an outfitter?
'70 C50
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 164 | welcome to the bolt  what engine is in it now? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 |
'70 C50
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 | Truck looks pretty nice. You may want to try to super tune the 350 to give it a chance before you pull it. Also some flow-thru mufflers and even headers would make a difference. I have a newer 350 in my '72 C-30. It's not registered and I haven't had it out on the open road yet, but it seems like it will be plenty good enough. Do you have a 2-Speed Rear in it?
The truck chassis might be a little short to haul a car on it as it is, but would be a good goose-neck truck or as a traditional puller. The bed size will depend on the length. What is the CA? (Cab to Axel measurement).
Welcome to the site, by the way.
Bill
'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan GMC 9500 Fan Detroit Diesel Fan
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 5 | It's the 5+2 manual. I know I can build the 350 but I already have a built EFI 496 (with 450hp/650tq) with an Allison behind it, and I'd much rather swap it in. SBC/BBC motor mounts are the same and I don't foresee any clearance issues, even with the Allison.
I'll check the CA tomorrow.
'70 C50
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 10 | If you could find some frame rail, the frame could be stretched to fit a longer bed.
Anyone here have any experience building a roll off bed? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | I had thought of building a tilt flat bed on my dump as well. the bennefit to the short frame is you can put a longer bed on it and get it close enough to the ground to load vehicles with a set of ramps. I was just going to tear down the dump bed and fab up a deck on the frame & lift, cover it with diamond plate and mount a winch up front. So long as the load is centered fwd of the pivot it will lower on it's own. But for safety I was going rig a locking mechanism up front to prevent popping the deck while loading/unloading flat loads. 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I drove mine home about 90mi, all highway, and it did OK cruising at 60-65mph. I guess mine may not be geared too low, because it did 65mph at a safe 2800rpm. My plans are to swap in my EFI 496 and a 6-speed Allison, so it should be even more highway-friendly. My gearing is fine; I thought the issue was with the 2spd being less reliable or something...  I will be using this truck to haul my 36ft enclosed racecar trailer, or potentially a 46ft GN racecar trailer. My buddy pulls a 48ft GN flatbed hauler with his F450, and we "car pool" our rock buggies 3x or 4x at a time on it. I suspect I may be volunteered as the rig hauler on the next trip. lol With a 6 speed (double overdrive) you probably want a lower geared rear axle than you have now if you plan to tow that much weight. Or have it programed back down to a 5 speed? Sounds like an interesting project and truck. Run some numbers and ratios in a gear calculator and see what you find. http://www.onlineconversion.com/bigger_tires.htmGrigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Looks like an 8 or probably a 9 foot dump body on an 84" C/A with about a 12" cab clearance. That means you can use an 11' puller body. Many available and i know the best and the worst of them. If you have questions concerning the body or CA give me a private e-mail as I am in that business and will be happy to help you. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 48 | HI I bought a 72 c 50 fuel truck scraped the tank and put on a steel flat bed 17' long (bought for $1000.00) I would get the j y bolts from a truck county or other big rig repair shop The bolts are not cheap but you do not want to loose the bed! | | |
| |
| |