Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,700 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | I've been reading this forum for quite a while (year or so?) and have picked up that the single barrel carb has some problems with it that changing to a 2 barrel carb solves simply. If I'm wrong about this let me know.
If I'm right, can I put a 2 barrel carb on my stock intake manifold? Its a '55 235 from a hydromatic. I thought I read about a converter plate you could get for it. If so, could someone recommend a carb (please be specific) that would work for it and where to get it?
I really don't want to put 2 carbs on it, I would like to keep the stock manifold. I do have the manifold off my 216 if that would work too, but I would think the one that came with the 235 would be better.
I have the single barrel that came with it, but its been sitting a long time and I've never had much luck rebuilding carbs. Thanks!
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Some guy's put on the Holley/Weber conversion & they work out real good. You should be able to rebuild the one that came on it. The model B is about as simple as a carb. can get. Often it is easier to fix what you have then start modifying things. It will be a lot cheaper too. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 235 | wasn't there something on other posts about the single barrel frosting or something and people trying to put warm air to them?
'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
| | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2010 Posts: 303 | You can pick up a rebuild kit for the model B manual choke carb at Car Quest part# 123A advance has them to I can't remember the part # though. But they can cross reference the Car Quest part number. I picked up a kit last week for around $18.00. As far as a single barrel frosting I have never had the problem. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 | Summit has the adapter plate for the single to two barrel for less than $20. Then while you are there check on the price of the Holley/Weber carb. You will find that it is cheaper to get a kit and try it. I'm not real savvy at carb stuff, but, I rebuilt mine in about 3 hours. Just take your time, and read through the instructions, twice if necessary, everything is in the kit, that you need, to do all of the adjustments. If I can do it, most, everyone else can to. You will also need a couple of cans of carb cleaner, use it liberally in all of the nooks and crannies. However the choice is up to you, as to which way to go. good luck in your endeavors and don't hesitate to ask for help as you get along. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | With the stock manifolds/cam, ther really is no need to go with a 2bbl, the stock single will work just fine. Like the others said, the Rochester B isn't too bad to rebuild. I will admit, I personally don't care for them, seems most of them I've dealt with were either warped or cracked, or both. Couln't even use them for a core. A good alternative would be the Carter YF, model 2100S. Just make 100% sure that you get the Chevy version, as the ford version is jetted way too rich for a Chevrolet.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 435 | Get the correct kit for your rebuild. Set up a place where you have plenty of room and good light. Turn on the tunes, lock the door, and keep the cell phone handy in case you have to call someone for some part numbers or whatever. And get after it. You can do it. If I can do it, I promise you, you'll amaze yourself at how easy it is. And just remember, it's just part of a machine, that men made. And men will sooner or later have to fix it. You will come out ahead and feel really good at getting it fixed.Any problems, and this site has more of the best folks in the world to help you with any problems. Just ask. | | |
| |