The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#694100 11/12/2010 12:31 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Both hoses that run from the blower unit to the defrost deflectors on my '52 Big Bolt were missing when I bought the truck.

I made new ones by using 1 1/2" sump pump discharge tubing (similar to Shop Vac hose) and 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" rubber fittings (PlumbQuick brand).

The hose is sturdy and flexible. The rubber fittings slip snugly (with a little spit for lubricant) onto the blower/deflector opening. The built-in hose clamps are nice. I did it all for under $20.00!

http://picasaweb.google.com/hillbilly6977/StoveboltHeaterHoses#

Last edited by hillbilly6977; 11/12/2010 1:00 AM.

1952 Chevrolet 6400 2-Ton Flatbed Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Video on YouTube
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 171
Nice.


Robert French MY3800FIRETRUCK
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
That is Nice.


Professional Novice
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Thanks for sharing Bruce. I know I'll be looking for hoses soon.


~Jim
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Does the flexible hose stay firmly attached in the rubber connector using the hose clamps? Seems like the flexible hose wouldn't be sturdy enough and would just keep collapsing?

I need some hoses, so you help is appreciated!


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Suprisingly, yes, it holds together well.

The rubber boot is firm enough that it cannot be tightened so much that it crushes the tubing. But, it can be tightend enough that the two pieces stay connected without coming apart.

Believe me when I say it took some "finagling" to install the hoses up under the dash. The hardest part was trying to lay on the floor next to the shifter, parking brake and dump box lever.

I made the passenger-side hose twice as long as was needed so I had some slack to work with. Having the radio missing was nice because I could see what I was doing!


1952 Chevrolet 6400 2-Ton Flatbed Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Video on YouTube
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Very inovative, and I don't mean to take the wind out of your sail, however I have to point out that a pair of the correct Defroster Duct Hoses are avalable from all of the vendors for less than $15.
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/12/2010 1:10 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
$15 + the shipping would probablly be around the same. I like 'em. thumbs_up


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
I had a little time and wanted to get the defrost working right away. I could have bought some, but I had fun getting creative.

Now, if I could only make a passenger-side mirror!


1952 Chevrolet 6400 2-Ton Flatbed Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Video on YouTube
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Nice work


Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
Loren
You are like me. Sometimes it is fun just to see if we can make something from scratch even if it is available. Thats thinking outside the box.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Bowtiefan: my first hope was to find flexible hose with the same diameter as the heater/deflector so I could just slip them on and be done. Thinking outside the box happened when I couldn't find 1 3/4" hose! Thanks for the reply.


1952 Chevrolet 6400 2-Ton Flatbed Dump Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Video on YouTube

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0