Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,176 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 | Both hoses that run from the blower unit to the defrost deflectors on my '52 Big Bolt were missing when I bought the truck. I made new ones by using 1 1/2" sump pump discharge tubing (similar to Shop Vac hose) and 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" rubber fittings (PlumbQuick brand). The hose is sturdy and flexible. The rubber fittings slip snugly (with a little spit for lubricant) onto the blower/deflector opening. The built-in hose clamps are nice. I did it all for under $20.00! http://picasaweb.google.com/hillbilly6977/StoveboltHeaterHoses#
Last edited by hillbilly6977; 11/12/2010 1:00 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 171 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 |
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Thanks for sharing Bruce. I know I'll be looking for hoses soon.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | Does the flexible hose stay firmly attached in the rubber connector using the hose clamps? Seems like the flexible hose wouldn't be sturdy enough and would just keep collapsing?
I need some hoses, so you help is appreciated! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 | Suprisingly, yes, it holds together well.
The rubber boot is firm enough that it cannot be tightened so much that it crushes the tubing. But, it can be tightend enough that the two pieces stay connected without coming apart.
Believe me when I say it took some "finagling" to install the hoses up under the dash. The hardest part was trying to lay on the floor next to the shifter, parking brake and dump box lever.
I made the passenger-side hose twice as long as was needed so I had some slack to work with. Having the radio missing was nice because I could see what I was doing!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Very inovative, and I don't mean to take the wind out of your sail, however I have to point out that a pair of the correct Defroster Duct Hoses are avalable from all of the vendors for less than $15. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 11/12/2010 1:10 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1,026 | $15 + the shipping would probablly be around the same. I like 'em. 
Robert C. If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes," I'm a Genius in the making. 1950 3600 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 | I had a little time and wanted to get the defrost working right away. I could have bought some, but I had fun getting creative.
Now, if I could only make a passenger-side mirror! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 111 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 111 | Loren You are like me. Sometimes it is fun just to see if we can make something from scratch even if it is available. Thats thinking outside the box. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 33 | Bowtiefan: my first hope was to find flexible hose with the same diameter as the heater/deflector so I could just slip them on and be done. Thinking outside the box happened when I couldn't find 1 3/4" hose! Thanks for the reply. | | |
| |