Here is my 1958 Cameo Carrier. I bought it from the original owner who bought it new in San Francisco at Ellis Brooks truck sales.
The truck is original and unmolested, no mods at all. It came from the factory with a 283 V8 coupled with a Hyrdra-matic 4-speed automatic trans. But what really sets it apart is the factory ordered power-steering, and the dealer installed Cool-Pack air conditioning! The power steering pump runs off the back of the generator, archaic, but cool.
I have no plans to restore the truck, I like the original patina, but I completely went through it mechanically; I rebuilt the power control valve and ram on the power-steering, and did backing plates out on the brakes. I went all through the motor; completely resealing it, new timing chain, hidden electronic ignition, and even all new single line exhaust, so it's bone stock, but fresh and reliable.
This truck is so incredibly original; the owner left his dash pipe holder and old pipe in it, and it still has the original wood in the bed. The truck was used mainly for fishing, and did runs from San Francisco north a couple of hundred miles to Lake County California. It never really saw any hard duty.
It has had one respray in its life, but that's it. Original red/silver/black speckled door panels are still intact, as are the arm rests, both visors, etc. Interior sports a red dash top with silver bottom. The red headliner has a kitchy, late 50s pattern, and the silver interior is still quite intact.
The working Cool-Pack A/C flips out other drivers when they see me on L.A. freeways in this old truck, on a hot day, but with the windows up and my hair blowing!
I'm smitten, and expect to own the truck for a very long time. I'm so glad to have found the Stovebolt forum as well!
Last edited by Peggy M; 04/20/2025 9:44 PM.