The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (3800GUY, moparguy, Woodcmiami, Otto Skorzeny, John L., D B Cooper), 160 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Today I was pricing paint for my engine. I used the PPG code 34560 I got from Tim's page. They quoted me $90 a quart for the good stuff and $25 for the cheap stuff. My question is, should I get the good stuff or will the cheap stuff last on an engine? What about hardner, do or should I use it?

Bruce

Last edited by 55 1st suburban; 10/20/2010 2:16 AM.

My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Why not just get a pint? It certainly won't take anywhere near that much to paint an engine.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
The cheap stuff you are refering to is probably Omni? That's even cheap for a quart of Omni. Omni doesn't cover anywhere near as well as the DBU does. It seems like the better paints have more pigment in them.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I've never done more than a rattle can in the past and I'm just begining to get experiment with the auto painting thing. Is a pint really enough to paint the whole engine and bell housing? What about the hardner, do I need it?

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What line of PPG paint are you referring to (when you refer to adding a hardener)?

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
One of my how-to books says that if you're planning to use the vehicle as a driver, use the cheapest paint you can get because the good stuff doesn't last much longer on an engine that's being used. I haven't followed that advice myself though. I bought high-temp engine paint.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
Willing to bet they quoted you single stage urethane DCC (high end) and the cheap stuff is AE or acrylic enamel (Omni).

Yes you need the hardener unless you dont want the paint to cure.


Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

You should use a hardener in an acrylic enamel (not the urethane, which is a two-part paint and has a catalyst).

I think a pint would do your engine and clutch housing.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by 55 1st suburban
Is a pint really enough to paint the whole engine and bell housing? What about the hardner, do I need it? Bruce

A pint, once reduced per instructions, is enough to cover your engine and bell housing and probably your entire driveline.

Yes, you will need reducer and hardener. Your paint dealer will set you up.

TIP: If you plan to paint your truck you should use the same brand paint for everything and save money on reducers and hardeners.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
[/quote]
TIP: If you plan to paint your truck you should use the same brand paint for everything and save money on reducers and hardeners. [/quote]

Good advice!!

Bruce

Last edited by 55 1st suburban; 10/21/2010 1:46 PM.

My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Another Bolter benefits from my mistakes (:


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
Czechman, you have so many good tips that I have had you on the watch list for 2 years....keep up the GOOD work

Brad


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0