| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,274 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 | Greetings all. I have a '41 Chevy half ton that has a 216 in it. I've been driving it for a year with no problems and then BAM! On my first real road trip in her I started overheating and came to find out that the water pump needed to be replaced. Towed it home and made that fix, problem solved... not exactly. Since that overheating I am now getting a terrible metal "clunking" sound when I accelerate and it dumps smoke out the filler tube. Some buddies said I may have spun a rod and that I might need to replace the main bearings and rod bearings. Does this sound right to you guys? Any insight you all can give would be much appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | It sounds more like a damaged piston and/or piston rings that have lost their tension due to the overheating. At any rate, it's major overhaul time, so pull the engine out and get busy! This might be a good time to upgrade to a 54-up 235 engine, unless you're determined to keep it bone-stock. It's very close to a bolt-in swap, with only a few minor changes to make. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 10/12/2010 8:54 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 | I've been considering an upgrade to a 235...might be the time to make it happen. It's my daily driver at the moment, so I got to figure out something quick.
Last edited by mrporth; 10/12/2010 9:17 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 21 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 21 | Check your Compression. I had an inline Chrysler 226 that did what your describing, not from overheating once though. The Head backed off the block. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 | They are all at about 90#. Took the oil pan off last night and there was nothing hanging down or in the bottom of the pan  . The second rod had a lot of left to right motion. Could this be the cause of my noise? I plan on taking the cap off tonight and looking at the bearing. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 21 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 21 | I have a 1940 216 that is was rebuilt. I would like to find a home for it. I would not go to the 235 Chevy but move to the 230 250 or the 292 motor. I am in So Cal. Thank You Handtight
1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton, 1959 Chevy 1/2 ton, 1966 Chevy C20.
I can explain it to you but I can't help you understand it.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 14 | Well, that rod that was moving left to right had flattened out the rod bearing...it was toast. I started to check the others and they look good. Might only be that one, but at the same time I did find a piston that was sliding up and down with one finger...no good. Think I'm going to pull the engine and take it all apart...ugggg. | | |
| |
| |