The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
Greetings all. I have a '41 Chevy half ton that has a 216 in it. I've been driving it for a year with no problems and then BAM! On my first real road trip in her I started overheating and came to find out that the water pump needed to be replaced. Towed it home and made that fix, problem solved... not exactly. Since that overheating I am now getting a terrible metal "clunking" sound when I accelerate and it dumps smoke out the filler tube. Some buddies said I may have spun a rod and that I might need to replace the main bearings and rod bearings. Does this sound right to you guys? Any insight you all can give would be much appreciated.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
It sounds more like a damaged piston and/or piston rings that have lost their tension due to the overheating. At any rate, it's major overhaul time, so pull the engine out and get busy! This might be a good time to upgrade to a 54-up 235 engine, unless you're determined to keep it bone-stock. It's very close to a bolt-in swap, with only a few minor changes to make.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 10/12/2010 8:54 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
I've been considering an upgrade to a 235...might be the time to make it happen. It's my daily driver at the moment, so I got to figure out something quick.

Last edited by mrporth; 10/12/2010 9:17 PM.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Check your Compression. I had an inline Chrysler 226 that did what your describing, not from overheating once though. The Head backed off the block.

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
They are all at about 90#. Took the oil pan off last night and there was nothing hanging down or in the bottom of the pan smile. The second rod had a lot of left to right motion. Could this be the cause of my noise? I plan on taking the cap off tonight and looking at the bearing.

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
I have a 1940 216 that is was rebuilt. I would like to find a home for it. I would not go to the 235 Chevy but move to the 230 250 or the 292 motor. I am in So Cal. Thank You Handtight


1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton, 1959 Chevy 1/2 ton, 1966 Chevy C20.

I can explain it to you but I can't help you understand it.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 14
Well, that rod that was moving left to right had flattened out the rod bearing...it was toast. I started to check the others and they look good. Might only be that one, but at the same time I did find a piston that was sliding up and down with one finger...no good. Think I'm going to pull the engine and take it all apart...ugggg.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0