Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Gdads51, 68ironhead, Jon G, Wally / Montana, 3B, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Rusted Nut, Shade Baby),
172
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,197 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 | As some of you know I have been working on a '59 Apache with my daughter, trying to make it a daily driver for her. I had planned to install the origional running 235 int the truck with a th350 transmission. I went to order the tranny adapter from Stovebolt Engine Co. and once we got to discussing the installation he advised against using the th350. He said there wasnt much of a first gear and I would not be happy with the performance. Could someone elaborate on this please? he suguested a 200r4 or a 700r4 with the over drive to make it more driveable at highway speeds which I understand , but I thought I would be ok for the rural in town driving getting the daughter back and forth to school and work I wasn't concerned.And I was under the impression that the OD was not an issue with larger diameter rims and a gear change in the rear. Could someone please point me in a good direction. And to all the pureists out there I would have considered leaving the three on the tree, but a 16 yo girl with manual steering and manual brakes didnt need to worry about the thingie on the steering wheel that made it go.  Also could someone please educate me on a Power Glide? wasnt it a 2-speed hi-low that was an option on the trk? Jessica's TruckThe true definition of insanity: To do the same thing the same way repeatedly and expect a different result each time. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | I think the truck automatic option was the Hydramatic with more gears available. The 2 speed Powerglide was for the car.
Tom might be concerned with the rpms needed to get the truck moving using a 235/TH350. It tends to work a little harder to get rolling, but plenty of people have used it. My preference is the 200r4 because it's an easier chassis fit in my opinion.
What open rear are you goung to use?
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 | I was leaving the origional rearend in it for now. not sure where that puts me. I have a rebuilt th350 on the shelf, but I guess I need to start looking for a 200r4. Any other input? Jessica's TruckThe true definition of insanity: To do the same thing the same way repeatedly and expect a different result each time. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Okay.Well if you already have a 350, use it. It might work out just fine for you. Don't know until you try.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I need to start looking for a 200r4 Go with the 700R4, the 200R4 is not rated for truck use. Plus the 700 is much more readily available, as it was used in everything from V8 Camaros, Caprices and Police spec Impalas, as well as S10s and full size GM trucks up to 3/4 ton.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | I need to start looking for a 200r4 Go with the 700R4, the 200R4 is not rated for truck use. Plus the 700 is much more readily available, as it was used in everything from V8 Camaros, Caprices and Police spec Impalas, as well as S10s and full size GM trucks up to 3/4 ton. True.Not rated for truck use, but I fiqure he's talking a 235 which the 200r4 can handle.If he's considering a bigger engine switch, then yes, 700R4.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Perhaps. But the 700 is much easier to find, and probably cheaper, too.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 | Okay.Well if you already have a 350, use it. It might work out just fine for you. Don't know until you try. If I decide to use the 350 and it does not work well what are my options after that? Is it tear it out and try again or are there other options to make the 350 more compatible? Jessica's TruckThe true definition of insanity: To do the same thing the same way repeatedly and expect a different result each time. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | you might post this in the crash box section too......they seem to want trannie swaps there
Last edited by joker; 10/11/2010 3:29 PM.
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Just my opinion but I think the TH350 would work fine with a 235 because the PowerGlides were used in cars with sixes which I think has a higher low range than a TH350 does. I'm sure you can easily check this out but if I'm correct then why not use it especially since you already have it. From your comments it appears this truck is just going to be a people hauler so I'd dismiss the ones mentioned as not being suitable for trucks if you choose to do that. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I don't see any problem with using the 350, either. The 700 does have the advantage of the lower first gear and the overdive, but otherwise, they are actually very similar as far as strength and internals.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 127 | well I appreciate the input. I will proceed with the 350. there's gonna be a whole lot more questions come up once the adapter plate shows up so stay tuned. I know nothing about transmissions and such, but what better place to learn than on someone-elses truck. I'm just glad she doesn't read these posts. You guys make my little girl think her dads not so dumb after all ;-) Jessica's TruckThe true definition of insanity: To do the same thing the same way repeatedly and expect a different result each time. | | |
| |