The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#683381 10/05/2010 2:30 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
I have a paint-related question:

I have chrome (repop) hubcaps on my truck, but I have a photo showing the truck originally had white painted hubcaps. I don't see painted hubcaps for sale by the after-market, and haven't seen any originals for sale at swap meets. How do I remove the chrome from a reproduction hubcap in order to prepare it for painting? I'd prefer an electrolysis-type procedure over mechanical/abrasive.

Bill

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Hi Bill. I have had good luck finding the painted hub caps at swap meets.

If you have patience - go to the upcoming meets and keep your eyes open.

Best of luck


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Don't know about electrolysis, but didn't have any problems bead-blasting my repop's. Cheap chrome didn't stand a chance...

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab145/BagdadChevy/untitled-005.jpg

Check out the album below for more pics. I'm going to try Duracoating them for a little extra toughness, will post pics after they're done this weekend.

I looked around for a while for painted hubcaps. I have 3, and 2 are in really poor shape- not really wanting to put valuable time into those, I too turned my eye to the shiny new chrome set I got for nothing off e-bay.
One thing's for sure- the reproduced caps are not of the same quality as the old (they weigh significantly less for one)- but they'll do.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Thanks for the info, Traeg. Your "after" shot looks like you had zero problem with the removal.

I don't mind getting reproductions and messing around with painting them. They are cheap in every sense of the word.

On picture 20, did you mask off the hubcap and then bead blast it? The line is so well-defined.

(Wow, you even have a radio!)

Bill

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 38
Yes, we masked it first- my buddy who owns the media blaster wasn't confident that it would work out as well as it did- so he did a test patch with straight lines so it wouldn't look horrible if we decided not to blast the rest of the cap. I was glad it worked!

I'll try to paint them this weekend and post follow up pics.

I haven't tried the radio yet- there's a huge gaping hole where the speaker should be- all in good time!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Here is mine I blasted and painted as well (used caps) even filled the dents with a little filler.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/2883476640102454676gfDkRD


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0