The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (PAUL Berardi, Gray_Ghost, JW51, moparguy), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,244
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 56
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 56
After much work and research, I have completed a custom draglink and tie rod assembly. This uses modern heavy duty tie rods. It is also fully adjustable. I wanted extra wheel clearance and the convenience of a modern part.

Doesn't it look like the stock 1 ton? It's not. It's for a 3/4 ton.

http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab158/Duntov85/1952Chev3608

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The pictures look good. Can you list the part numbers you used and any modifications you made?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 56
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 56
They are custom tie rod ends. The sleeves are custom made as well. After many prototypes these are hollow to keep the weight down.

The tubing is 1.250" diameter. The threads on the tie rod ends are about 29/32".

I wanted something that was beefed up from stock so the wimpy OEM tie rod end wouldn't bow. I wanted a modern tie rod end, not that goofy old skool ball and cup setup, because I plan on using this truck for a daily driver. I want to be able to jack the truck up when I'm doing an oil change, shoot some grease in the kingpins, steering, and everywhere else and be done with it. This also gives me more clearance for the aftermarket wheels (replacements for FORD 1969 F-250 - they have 1/2" studs 8 bolt on 6.5) - Great replacements by the way and easy to obtain.


I also wanted something that looked very clean and stock. An ealier prototype had large jam nuts, but there was a problem obtaining tooling that would properly cut the threads. Using the clamp syle gives a little more realistic leeway.

Nothing was available for the 3/4 ton. This could also be used for a 1 ton and maybe a 1 1/2 ton, but I'd need to know what the length from center of the grease fitting to center of the other grease fitting on the tie rod assembly as it is assembled on the vehicle with toe set at 0 (zero).. From there I could compute the length of the custom sleeve.

If someone is interested in doing something like this, I will assist in helping you achieve this. I'd like to see more vehicles like these driveable.



Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0