The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#681742 09/29/2010 9:11 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
What is the best lubricant for the steering gear box on a ’53 Chevy 3600? My old shop manual says to use “Steering gear lubricant”. I don’t know what that is. When I remove the fill plug on top of the steering box, it seems that it is grease but it may just be 57 years of crud. I would think multi purpose gear oil SAE 80W-85W-90 that I use in the transmission and rear end would work but want to see what Y’all say before I make a mistake.
Any help is appreciated.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
John Deere Corn Head grease. There is another one that I can't remember at the moment... Lubrite or something like that? Basically, self leveling grease is what you need. If you have very good seals, then the 90 wt. should work.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

There has been a lot of discussion about this topic.

The original lubricant was a self-levelling grease. Penrite make an expensive equivalent; however, many people find that John Deere Corn Head Grease works quite well (and the price is right).

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I found the Corn head grease at a nearby tractor dealer. It took a whole 14 oz tube! That baby hadn't been lubed in 57 years. I'll buy another tube just to keep it properly lubed. I purchased the little 3 oz palm grease gun from Harbor Freight for $3.95 and will dedicate it for this purpose.
Thanks for the input.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0