Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (frogfarmer),
116
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | I got a 1954 Chevy truck with stock frame. I was wonder what is the best/easiest 6 Lug IFS to put on my original frame? Im planing to use a hopped up 250 I6, 5 speed with 3:08 6 lug rear. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Why bother? Put 6 lug discs on the straight axle. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | I want a smoother ride and better steering. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | Check here http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/. I've done both used the corvette front and rear .But the discs on the stock straight front axle like Cletis said works great also! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | That great and all with the stock stuff, but Im getting tired of fixing over and over the stock stuff and the ride is too stiff. I do want to keep it 6 lug. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | Have you called CPP 714-522-2000 http://www.classicperform.com/ or progressive automotive 1-740-862-4696ask for Bob about the 6 lug hub's ? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 36 | I doubt you are going to find a 6lug IFS for 2whl drive other than a Toyota (really 4x4). I could be wrong, but only one I've seen. Toyota just deleted drive axle & capped the shaft hole. I think all other 6lug are 4x4. Since IFS requires a whole new front subframe & you are swapping rearend, maybe 5lug would be easier. Good luck.
Last edited by 49Neo; 09/23/2010 7:39 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 | You might look into using an older Dodge Ram 50 suspension system. It's the same as the Mitsubishi pickup, has a 1/2 ton rating(theoretically), and uses the same 6-lug wheel bolt spacing as a stovebolt. Not sure about how much modification might be necessary for getting the correct track width, but I know it's a pretty rugged system. The ride is governed by the spring and shock rates, so once it's installed, swapping springs can tune the ride comfort to suit your needs. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 09/23/2010 4:10 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 201 | I do know that from 1960-1972 Chevrolet had 6 lug 2WD trucks that had IFS. I want to keep 6 lug mostly so I can use the same rims on my truck. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 | The early 60's Chevy trucks had torsion bar suspension that would be a real PITA to adapt. I believe you would be far better off to find a crossmember or a front frame clip from a truck about the same width as yours with coil spring suspension to use as a donor. The radiator core support and front frame horns from yours could be adapted for stock-appearing sheet metal mount points once the suspension change is made, if you choose to do a front clip installation. The advantage of doing the entire frame section graft is that it retains the original steering geometry, and usually the steering gear, also. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 09/24/2010 12:51 PM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I do know that from 1960-1972 Chevrolet had 6 lug 2WD trucks that had IFS. In '71 and '72 and later the only 6-lug trucks were 4wd. Starting in '71 the 1/2-ton trucks were all 5-lug with disk brakes. '60 to '62 have the torsion bar suspension that would be hard to adapt. The '63 to '70 drum brake IFS is really too wide to fit under an AD truck, though people have narrowed them and used offset wheels to make it work.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Ok, here is a stupid question: Doesn't anyone have 6 lug hubs for the MII front end? I have never attempted one, but I believe that is the easiest way to go. My vote is to keep it a truck and keep the solid front axle. Lots of folks wreck these perfectly good trucks with thoughts of making them more comfortable. They drive like a truck, and I wouldn't want one any other way. END RANT.
John
P.S. I realise my vote does not count. Good luck! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 487 | CPP has them. regards, Leon | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 29 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 29 | Look into an early 90s Izusu pickup. They came in 2wd and are 6 lug with the same bolt pattern as Chevy.
1995 BMW 318i 1988 Chevy Silverado 4x4 1967 Camaro 1950 Chevy 3100 pickup
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 67 | Thats the one I was asking about. He's the only one with six lugs in the kit. Looks like I'm going to get one for my 49 truck. I'll let you know! Chuck 49
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I see plenty wrong with it. $2200 to replace a perfectly good suspension system? In my opinion that is ridiculous. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | This was discussed recently on the HAMB. See here.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 67 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 67 | Looks like the kit for the front end kit was a scam or something. All the IFS kits are gone. I can't even get the pictures off google. I guess I'll have to find somebody else to give my 2200 dollars to!! Thanks | | | | | Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2007 Posts: 725 | The whole front crossmember from '63 through'87 just unbolts, (may have to drill some rivets on some.) What the folks wanting 6 lug disks do is to have to rotors redrilled. '63 - '70 are 6 lug drums, '71 - '87 are 5 on 5 disks. '73 on the the ball joints and tierod ends are a bit heavier and won't fit the earlier stuff, and they're cheaper, too. More demand I guess. I hope this helps.
Les | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 256 | The whole front crossmember from '63 through'87 just unbolts, (may have to drill some rivets on some.) What the folks wanting 6 lug disks do is to have to rotors redrilled. '63 - '70 are 6 lug drums, '71 - '87 are 5 on 5 disks. '73 on the the ball joints and tierod ends are a bit heavier and won't fit the earlier stuff, and they're cheaper, too. More demand I guess. I hope this helps.
Les Is there anymore info on this swap? | | |
| |