The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jon G, 3B, GMCJammer51, DuckRancher, Peggy M, 1 invisible), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#679819 09/22/2010 11:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
I got a 1954 Chevy truck with stock frame. I was wonder what is the best/easiest 6 Lug IFS to put on my original frame? Im planing to use a hopped up 250 I6, 5 speed with 3:08 6 lug rear.


1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Beast57 #679836 09/23/2010 12:09 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Why bother? Put 6 lug discs on the straight axle.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #679859 09/23/2010 1:15 AM
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
I want a smoother ride and better steering.


1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Beast57 #679906 09/23/2010 4:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Check here http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/. I've done both used the corvette front and rear .But the discs on the stock straight front axle like Cletis said works great also!


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
That great and all with the stock stuff, but Im getting tired of fixing over and over the stock stuff and the ride is too stiff. I do want to keep it 6 lug.


1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Beast57 #679917 09/23/2010 5:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
Have you called CPP 714-522-2000 http://www.classicperform.com/ or progressive automotive 1-740-862-4696ask for Bob about the 6 lug hub's ?


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
I doubt you are going to find a 6lug IFS for 2whl drive other than a Toyota (really 4x4). I could be wrong, but only one I've seen. Toyota just deleted drive axle & capped the shaft hole. I think all other 6lug are 4x4. Since IFS requires a whole new front subframe & you are swapping rearend, maybe 5lug would be easier. Good luck.

Last edited by 49Neo; 09/23/2010 7:39 AM.

Beast57 #679988 09/23/2010 4:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
You might look into using an older Dodge Ram 50 suspension system. It's the same as the Mitsubishi pickup, has a 1/2 ton rating(theoretically), and uses the same 6-lug wheel bolt spacing as a stovebolt. Not sure about how much modification might be necessary for getting the correct track width, but I know it's a pretty rugged system. The ride is governed by the spring and shock rates, so once it's installed, swapping springs can tune the ride comfort to suit your needs.
Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 09/23/2010 4:10 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 201
I do know that from 1960-1972 Chevrolet had 6 lug 2WD trucks that had IFS. I want to keep 6 lug mostly so I can use the same rims on my truck.


1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO Truck
In the Gallery
1957 Chevy 6400 US FOREST SERVICE
Here's a long list of all my STUFF!
Beast57 #680188 09/24/2010 12:50 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
The early 60's Chevy trucks had torsion bar suspension that would be a real PITA to adapt. I believe you would be far better off to find a crossmember or a front frame clip from a truck about the same width as yours with coil spring suspension to use as a donor. The radiator core support and front frame horns from yours could be adapted for stock-appearing sheet metal mount points once the suspension change is made, if you choose to do a front clip installation. The advantage of doing the entire frame section graft is that it retains the original steering geometry, and usually the steering gear, also.
Jerry


Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 09/24/2010 12:51 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Beast57 #680380 09/25/2010 4:05 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by beast54
I do know that from 1960-1972 Chevrolet had 6 lug 2WD trucks that had IFS.
In '71 and '72 and later the only 6-lug trucks were 4wd. Starting in '71 the 1/2-ton trucks were all 5-lug with disk brakes.

'60 to '62 have the torsion bar suspension that would be hard to adapt.

The '63 to '70 drum brake IFS is really too wide to fit under an AD truck, though people have narrowed them and used offset wheels to make it work.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
OldSub #680410 09/25/2010 6:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Ok, here is a stupid question: Doesn't anyone have 6 lug hubs for the MII front end? I have never attempted one, but I believe that is the easiest way to go. My vote is to keep it a truck and keep the solid front axle. Lots of folks wreck these perfectly good trucks with thoughts of making them more comfortable. They drive like a truck, and I wouldn't want one any other way. END RANT.

John

P.S. I realise my vote does not count. Good luck!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
CPP has them.

regards,
Leon

Leon #697686 11/24/2010 6:11 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
Look into an early 90s Izusu pickup. They came in 2wd and are 6 lug with the same bolt pattern as Chevy.


1995 BMW 318i
1988 Chevy Silverado 4x4
1967 Camaro
1950 Chevy 3100 pickup
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
put a mustang ii and a cpp 6 lug disc brakes for mustangII check this out 250, 5speed mustang ii http://www.chevybombs.net/forum/index.php?topic=12518.0


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Anybody seen or used this kit? or see anything wrong with it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/gmc-chevy-subur...arts_Accessories&hash=item43a5bed115


Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by bigtony55
Anybody seen or used this kit? or see anything wrong with it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/gmc-chevy-subur...arts_Accessories&hash=item43a5bed115
ANYBODY??


Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
Thats the one I was asking about. He's the only one with six lugs in the kit. Looks like I'm going to get one for my 49 truck. I'll let you know!
Chuck 49

Chuck49 #730162 03/15/2011 5:38 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I see plenty wrong with it. $2200 to replace a perfectly good suspension system? In my opinion that is ridiculous.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by bigtony55
Originally Posted by bigtony55
Anybody seen or used this kit? or see anything wrong with it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/gmc-chevy-subur...arts_Accessories&hash=item43a5bed115
ANYBODY??


This was discussed recently on the HAMB.See here.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Curt B. #730441 03/16/2011 2:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
Looks like the kit for the front end kit was a scam or something. All the IFS kits are gone. I can't even get the pictures off google. I guess I'll have to find somebody else to give my 2200 dollars to!!
Thanks

Chuck49 #731246 03/19/2011 2:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 725
The whole front crossmember from '63 through'87 just unbolts, (may have to drill some rivets on some.) What the folks wanting 6 lug disks do is to have to rotors redrilled. '63 - '70 are 6 lug drums, '71 - '87 are 5 on 5 disks. '73 on the the ball joints and tierod ends are a bit heavier and won't fit the earlier stuff, and they're cheaper, too. More demand I guess. I hope this helps.

Les

Roadmarks #859292 06/15/2012 11:45 AM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by Roadmarks
The whole front crossmember from '63 through'87 just unbolts, (may have to drill some rivets on some.) What the folks wanting 6 lug disks do is to have to rotors redrilled. '63 - '70 are 6 lug drums, '71 - '87 are 5 on 5 disks. '73 on the the ball joints and tierod ends are a bit heavier and won't fit the earlier stuff, and they're cheaper, too. More demand I guess. I hope this helps.

Les
Is there anymore info on this swap?


Stovebolt CHEVROLET
1949 Chevrolet Suburban
Non stovebolt CHEVROLET
1958 Impala Convertible
1963 Impala Convertible
MY 1949 SUBURBAN
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3Le4kQmkKGrHqQOKkIEyOD6OnQjBMlR5ZKJng_121.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k237/bigtony55/B3LfyCQEWkKGrHqEOKkEEyNoRGLUBMlR8HrYzg_121.jpg

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0