The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tiny, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Hello all. Was wondering if any stovebolters might be able to help suggest some initial diagnosis/places to check on a very recent engine noise in my 51 GMC Burb. Upon acceleration, it is making a fairly nasty clattering noise. First thought it was the water pump, but now I worry is it a bearing or something. Check out the video and let me know what you think:

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/6b634d09c0b91617e03d5d49a2dfec56/video/18046686

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Hard to tell but to me it seems more like a rubbing sound than a knock and the water pump does seem suspect. Is anything hitting the bottom pulley and have you eliminated the generator? Just some thoughts but doesn't sound like bottom end to me, could I suppose be the valve train but I don't lean that way. Everyone will hear it differently.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
WIll check the bottom pulley. Do you mean the generator bearing might be going? I just took the belt off and spun the generator pulley .... no strange sound or play.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Okay. I disconnected the fan belt and generator, so that the only thing turning when the engine is on is the crankshaft/CS pulley. Wallah, no more noise. I assume it is the water pump. I am missing something?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
The generator or water pump could be the problem. I'd suggest changing the water pump first, especially if the old pump has some mileage on it. It's just a matter of time and mileage until the pump starts to leak, so a little preventive maintenance will probably save you a possible on-the-road problem. If it springs a leak, you could be dealing with an expensive towing job, or a roasted engine.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Yeah, not leaking yet. But sound like the impeller bearing is rattling. So, yes, I'll change it and hopefully that will be it. Thanks!

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I was watching the video, and it looked like the fan belt was wobbeling from the bottom. I would check the harmonic ballancer. It may have walked off the crankshaft. I don't believe there is a bolt on your 228 to hold the harmonic ballancer on like the later 270s and 302s have.

John

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Really? What holds the HB on?

Yes, the fan belt is loose and I am going to get a new one as the current one is a bit worn.

When I took the fan belt completely off and started the engine, I couldn't reproduce the sound.

When I put it back and engaged the water pump pulley, it started making noise again.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
The HB is a press fit. It is not uncommon for them to walk off. If the HB walks completely off it can cause a lot of damage as it will likely go through the radiator. It may not be your problem, but I would definetely take a good look. The fan belt may be pulling the HB enough when it is on to cause that sound. In my experience water pumps usally ring when they go bad.

John

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
"Ring"? I'll definitely check the HB ... I assume it would be noticeably loose.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Sometimes when the bearing in the water pump is going, you can feel thre play in it with the engine stopped. Grasp the fan and try to wiggle it sideways, sort of tilting it. If you can do that, it probably needs to be changed


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
Thanks all .... pretty definite now it is the water pump bearing.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
Also.....have you inspected the blades of the cooling fan? If a blade is bent or cracked it will flex at higher RPM's with higher air flow and strike the front edge of the harmonic balancer. The clearance between the two components can often times be VERY close and the slightest wobble or flex can cause a scraping sound. My 216 suffered from this ailment.


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 35
I had the fan off and it seemed fine. I'll check the HB for any signs of striking. Thanks!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0