The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (GDW, Gdads51, ‘37ChevyPU, Shaffer's1950), 119 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6747 03/06/2003 11:00 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
V
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 96
So I was just wondering....
It wan't happen any time soon, I just rebuilt my 235 and I'm waiting for the Vermont Snow to melt before I put it back in my 59 fleetside.
But just for laughs...and because I'm curious...
Is there such a thing as a diesel engine out there that would go in and let me use the same transmission? I love the 3 speed, and I don't want to change that. Also, I'm admittedly and amature mechenic, and I would have to pay somebody to do any kind of fabrication and welding and such.
Is there an engine that would drop in pretty easily?
I want to know because some friends of mine work for greasecar (www.greasecar.com...cool site),
and I'd love to drive my truck without the hit in the wallet every time I fill it up.
But I'm also kind of just fantasizing.
Anybody out there know?


1959 3200 Apache Fleetside
In the Legacy Gallery
#6748 03/07/2003 1:59 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 78
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 78
Please don't take this too seriously as I have major doubts about my own knowleadge.
First of all, a 265/283 was an option for your truck right? Therefore a small block swap should be a no brainer. Second, didn't chevy make a 350ci diesel that was based on the gas-powered small block? It might be worth looking into, but I haven't heard the best comments about this 350 diesel. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.


-----------------------------------
Rollin' Hard
1946 Chevy 1/2 ton
1959 Phord 1/2 ton
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton
#6749 03/07/2003 3:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 398
Actually, the 350 diesel you're thinking of was a late '70's/early '80's Oldsmobile , based on the Oldsmobile 350 V-8 of the time. Haven't heard much good about it, in fact I remember reading in car magazines of the time that folks were converting the engine from diesel to gas (was apparently a bit of a dog). To pull off this swap, you'd need a bellhousing adapter plate from Chevy pattern to B.O.P. (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bellhousing. you'd also have to fab up side engine mounts, a crossmember, etc. A lot of work, but it WOULD be different! eek

Regards,
Wannabe smile


"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#6750 03/07/2003 4:44 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 78
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 78
Okay now I remember my dad telling me about how he swapped his 350 diesel in a half ton with a Olds 350 rocket and he said it was a bolt in. I'll retract my first reply, thanks Wannabe.


-----------------------------------
Rollin' Hard
1946 Chevy 1/2 ton
1959 Phord 1/2 ton
2001 Chevy 1/2 ton
#6751 03/07/2003 5:05 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 477
you could go with a 6.2 g.m. diesal. i think everything will bolt up. these are pretty doggy engines, but i saw one with a banks turbo setup that did REAL well. and got good milage.

#6752 03/07/2003 7:57 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
The 6.2 / 6.5 would be a good engine. The older models were lacking power. I would be concerned about the added weight. The original exhaust would have to be changed to bigger diameter and extra cooling would need to be considered. I would think the right gearing and proper camshaft selection for a gas motor would be a better way to go. Joe

#6753 03/07/2003 11:05 PM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
Would the 3 speed handle the torque of a diesel engine?

Maybe for just driving around, but if I had a diesel I would be pulling something!


Blaine Dumkee
59 GMC 9314
Fort Smith NT
www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
#6754 03/12/2003 3:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 20
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 20
I'm a pretty serious GM fan, and do like the torque and the smell of diesel smoke...but if I were contemplating a swap it wouldn't be GM- they just never figured that part out. Maybe a Cummings turbo (6 cyl- like REAL TRUCKS wink grin .


longtrail
It is only possible to live happily ever after one day at a time.
#6755 03/13/2003 2:52 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 6
1
Member
Member
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 6
Going back to an earlier post, no the 3 speed probably wouldn't cut it. I asked on The Diesel Page if the 5 speed in my '93 would hold up to a diesel, and popular opinion was no. So the 3 speed probably won't work. I often thought about using a diesel, cause that is what I am trained to work on!!

Jason

#6756 03/17/2003 2:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 45
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 45
Power it with a 4BTA Cummins conversion from a P-van.There are hundreds of those hitting the yards now.I powered my 1986 C-20 with one and a turbo-400 behind it.Bolted right in,other than expected modifications,the only thing was to lengthen front driveshaft about 3 inches and bend a 3 inch exhaust.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0