The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wheelie, Hugh63c10, Hawkman, UtahYork), 85 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,482
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671587 08/19/2010 8:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
I am doing a comprehensive rebuild on Goose #4 (see ridgwayrailroadmusuem.org) and studying the history of the use of the GMC 361 engines which were installed about 1947. These are narrow gauge rail busses. My problem is identifying the age of the engines. The serial numbers are as follows.
#4 = 3615654
#5 = 3617751
#7 = 3614364
Can anyone help me with approx dates.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy GallopingGoose, I have very little reference material on engine serial numbers, however there is another site which specializes in G.M.C. info, that site is Old G.M.C. Trucks.com, hope that helps.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
3
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
3 Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 292
What kind of engine is the GMC 361 ? I-6 ? V-6 ? V-8 ? I-8 ?

Gas ? / diesel ? / Steam ?


Mike


1962 GMC K3000, GMC-379 V6.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The Geese I've seen were built on a heavy automotive chassis's but I don't recall they were Jimmies. Whites perhaps, or some long out of business auto but my memory doesn't work that well. Has #4 been repowered? Like 379V6 I too am unfamiliar with a GMC361. Sounds more familiar when discussing F&%ds. Tell us more please.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I have some pictures of Goose #4 and Goose #5 here. There are a couple of shots of #5's engine including one showing a date code of D278.

These were built from Pierce-Arrows and were re-powered with the GMC big truck engines in the late '40s.

I was in Ridgeway last week and checked on the progress of #4.

Google Galloping Goose for lots of info.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I Googled GMC engines for both trucks and industrial use last evening and thought I could see 361 on one document but the print was so small I couldn't be sure. My search included all engines ever produced by General Motors but couldn't find any trucks powered by this engine so I presume it was for industrial use. Maybe some of the GMC heavy duty guys have some info on it. I nearly suggested Pierce Arrow in my previous post as it was swimming around in my mind but it has just been too many years since I was at the Colorado RR Museum to be certain. Never been to the place at Ridgeway.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I was finally able to decipher the very small print from the website I mentioned above and (drumroll here) listed along with the 503 and 426 is the 361. The B&S shown for it is the same as the info in the Goose link Cletis provided.

What I still have not been able to confirm is just where or if this 361 engine was used in a GMC. Still looking but so far nothing has shown it as ever being used so my assumption is that it must have been an industrial engine or perhaps a re-power upgrade. Hope someone can tell me more.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0