The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671417 08/19/2010 12:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
I wanted to see if anyone would help me with my gas gauge. Since I've owned this 1950 Chevy truck (3100) It has always read empty on the gas gauge. I found the float had a crack in it. So I replace it with a new one. I also rewired the truck (American Autowire). I installed a 12 to 6 volt reducer on the gauge. It reads full in the tank even though it has no fuel. What do I do?


1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Open circuit between the sending unit and the gauge. When the sending unit is in the full position there is maximum resistance (no current flow) to the gauge. An open circuit (no current flow) is telling the gauge the tank is full no matter the amount of fuel in the tank.

Last edited by Tiny; 08/19/2010 1:23 AM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #671886 08/21/2010 12:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
Tiny can elaborate on this, but you need to match the OHMs on the sender to gauge. I had a 90 OHM gauge, and a 120 OHM sender. it read full all the time. Even when I stalled out in one of the busiest intersections in town from being out of gas.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i just put a 270 in my 40. i didnt touch the electrical system. when i turned on the key the fuel gage was past the full mark. i know it wasnt right because there was only two gallons of gas in the tank. i checked the resistance on the sender to ground and i got nothing. wtf i didnt do anything to lose it. checked from sender wire to fuel valve at the tank and got 2 ohms. i dumped five gallons of gas in and i got 8 ohms but only when i had the sender wire via a jumper to the tank shut off valve. i lost my ground, how did this happen. when i put the engine in i ran a new fuel line from the tank and the fuel pump and add a plastic filter close to the shut off valve. the rubber fuel lines are what broke the circuit. after i ran a seperate wire from the sender housing and grounded to frame the gage read 1/4 tank.
before that the fuel line was the ground.

maybe when you replaced the float you lost your ground.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
gmindel,
the gas gauge should read full when powered up and there is no connection to the sender post. It should read empty when you ground the sender post and it is powered up. You should try these two tests at the sender end and if it fails, try it at the gauge end.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Okay.... I'm still not getting it... I took the wire off the sending unit.... the gauge still read full... I grounded the wire.... the gauge still read full... When I shut the power off, the gauge goes to empty.... What next....



1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
do a continuity check on the wire between the gauge and the sender, may be open somewhere along the way - if it checks good, likely the gauge is bad - as a double check you can put a temporary wire or jumper from the gauge terminal that goes to the sender right to ground nearby and see if it acts the same

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by gmindel
Okay.... I'm still not getting it... I took the wire off the sending unit.... the gauge still read full... I grounded the wire.... the gauge still read full... When I shut the power off, the gauge goes to empty.... What next....

Take the wire off at the gauge. if it stays on full with no sending unit wire attached the gauge itself is grounded out at the post that goes to the sender. What condition is the cardboard insulator in? You may have to get something to replace the insulator with. A carving out of a milk jug should do the trick.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
I did the test on the sending unit and discovered it to be bad. I just ordered a new one from LMC.


1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Sending unit it, rewired and all working great. Thanks to everyone... I'm a pastor, so going to the Stovebolt website for help is like going to the bible... I get just what I need.


1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0