The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, 55shaker, Lugnutz, F100Ranger, Otto Skorzeny, Steelonsteel), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#671301 08/18/2010 4:17 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I have a fellow that wants to buy the 4 speed (with granny gear) that was original in my ’53 Chevy 3600. He has asked me who the manufacturer was and the model name of the transmission. He asked about Saginaw. Can anyone help out here from this limited information?
Thanks
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Hey John,
It's maybe a SM420, Does it look like this?


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I don't have it with me as I am having a new T-5 and rebuilt 235 installed about 2 hours away. I'll check when I go get it. I hoped that the '53s were all the same.
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

More information on the Muncie SM-420

This was the only 4-speed transmission available from the factory on any 1953 Chevrolet truck.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I said maybe because it may not be "from the factory". The Jeep guys love those SM420 transmissions. Check your local want ads if you need to set a price on it.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
Who made the SM-420?
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
The answer lies in the links provide by Tim and myself. Click on the Blue words in the posts, they are links to helpful information.

Last edited by FriedGreenTmater; 08/18/2010 5:46 PM.

1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by John Hill
Who made the SM-420?
John
GM made'em all - if the guy is looking for a "saginaw 4 speed" and thinking one might be in a 53 truck, he doesn't really know what he's looking for wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
He said that he was indeed looking for a SM-420. Now my question gets to a new level. My truck is a 3/4 ton and has an enclosed front propeller shaft. When that is removed from the back of the transmission, it would appear that for the transmission to be used for "open drive shaft" applications, it would need a different universal front flange and oil seal. Am I correct in assuming that the oil from the transmission presently flows back and fills or lubricates the enclosed front propeller shaft, or is the rear oil seal the same for all of these SM-420s and all that would be needed would be a different universal front flange?
Thanks
John


"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The transmission's rear cover for the enclosed driveshaft would need to be replaced with the rear cover for an open driveshaft.

There is a seal in the open-driveshaft rear cover.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 144
I take it from the shop manual (http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_54chevyparts/04/220.HTM ) that it is called "transmission rear bearing retainer 4.317". It appears that an oil seal goes into it and then the universal joint front flange passes through the oil seal. Do you know if the universal front flange is the same for my enclosed system or different for the open drive shaft?
Thanks for all of the help here.
John




"It wasn't broke but I still decided to fix it. Now its broke"
I really love my coon hounds
Pics at http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/...0truck/53%20Chevy%20truck%20Sept%202010/

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0