The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,464
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 35
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 35
Hi Bolters-
I need to change the leaky valve cover gasket on my '46 216 engine. The gasket that is on it is probably for a newer 235 since I can see the bulges where the bolt holes would be around the mating surfaces.(this is also the area that leaks the most) My question is what is the best way to install a new gasket? What material should it be? How tight do I tighten the two studs that protrude through the top of the cover? Where can I order a good one online?
Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
46possum

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I ordered mine through the local Bumper To Bumper parts store. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and smooth by scraping off any old gasket material & wiping off any oil or debris. I simply laid the gasket on the head & carefully installed the valve cover on top of it. Make sure it's positioned correctly before you snug the valve cover nuts. The passenger side lip on the valve cover will keep that side from "pooching" out so your main worry will be the driver's side. Don't overtighten the nuts. Snug is good, smashed flat isn't.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
I just got mine through the local NAPA store. It's cork and cost about $12. Just wipe down the surfaces good, carefully position, and snug down. You should be good to go.


1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I’ve always used a little #2 Permatex on the cover side and a light coat of grease on the head side. That way the gasket always comes off with the cover and does not stick half to each and tare next time you remove the cover.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
I had leaaky gasket till I tightened up while warm/hot.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0