The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (BC59, TexasA&M48Truck, Jays58, KEVINSKI), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,473
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#666948 08/01/2010 11:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I installed my exhaust manifold after cleanup of carbon deposits. When I put it back I having a gap in one of the exhaust round to head. It doesnot go flush. Checked all the bolts are tight. I thought of buying but I cannot find anywhere.

Does that gap create backfire through carburetor. I tried to start engine and started getting backfires to carburetor.

Any information on this is appreciated

Rgds.,
Ganesh

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy smokey_truck, Did you remove the exhaust manifold separately from the intake or did you remove them as a unit? Did you use intake manifold alignment rings to re-install if you removed both manifolds together? Did the manifold fit fine before you removed it?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The procedure is to loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold. then mount the unit on the head making sure that the three alignment rings fit in and the round intake ports push up flush to the head. Do not force anything with the bolts.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
3B thanks for responding, I removed intake and exhaust as one unit. I cleaned and put a new gasket and aligned intake manifold alignment rings when remounting. They were all good with no gaps when removed.

I cant find any NOS replacement. Any help is appreciated

Ganesh

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Tight bolts don't mean its aligned. I've done this myself, it took two attempts before I finally got it right! Look real close at the intake manifold, especially the under side were manifold mates up with the head. It doesn't take much of a gap to cause the problem. The alignment rings get moved out of place, and won't let the intake seat on the head! If it fit before, no reason it won't go right back on!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0