The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#666356 07/30/2010 6:30 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Anybody know what happened to the 'Stovebolt Stoker' Tech Articles.
They are not listed anymore on the Webrodder.com site.
I wanted to go back and re-read some of them but none of them are listed anymore.
Also the 'Webrodder Forum' is shut down.
Does anybody know why, and what is going on?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
you're looking in the wrong place? asking the wrong people? lost your glasses? wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Bill, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, even using your "lost your glasses?" link above and doing a search I still can't find anything on the 'Stovebolt Stoker' anywhere.

Ed





Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Do you mean to search for "Stroker" instead of "stoker"


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
for starters, Tmater has part of your answer, beyond that you seem to be unable to find the forum you're interested in, but it is there, ask them about their articles ... the internet is an ever changing thing, we can't keep track of all of it ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Ok I guess I ment "Stroker" and not stoker.

I did find the 'fourm' there was an old link and a new link, I was using the old link.

I looked at all 37 pages on "engine Tech Articles:" and there is no listings for the 'Stovebolt Stroker" series anymore at Webrodder.com.

I found this link at another site,
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=417&SID=24&CID=15
but go to it and it says
"THIS ARTICLE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE"

Can anybody list a direct link to the Stovebolt Stroker series of articles? (one that works)

Or does anybody know why the Stovebolt Stroker series of articles are now not available.

Thanks,
Ed

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 119

Last edited by lightflyer1; 07/30/2010 10:21 PM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Thanks lightflyer 1,

The 1st link brought up #13 article which is good but I can't get to the rest of the Parts #1 thru #19 (or maybe 20 now ??)

The 2nd link (egge.com) lists 'part 1 thru part 8, but when you click on them they all say "This Article Is No Longer Available"

At least this is what is happening when I go there.

I'm ready to bang my head against the wall on this one.
Everything I do says that they have been removed from Webrodder.com

Ed

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
instead of banging anything, why not go to the site that the articles belong to and ask them?? it's obvious they are the only ones who can answer your question, and you do know where their forum is now - very likely if you're willing to pay the cost they'll happy you up, very obvious that site is in it for the money

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Often you can retrieve old stuff like that using WayBackMachine.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
yup, if ya wanna pay for it wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
nothing in life is free


1952 Chevy 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Doin better'n some an worse than others. Life's what ya make of it. FAMILY, GOD and COUNTRY. Love it or Leave it.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Bill (squeeze), I tried your link above "wanna pay for it" but it goes to a place called 'waybackmachine' and then it goes nowhere. (??)
That's the same place 'Oldsub' suggested, but didn't work.

I have asked on the forum at Webrodder.com what was going on with the 'Stovebolt Stroker' series but as of yet received no reply.

I realize that they (Webrodder) are probably in it for the money, and when the series is completed I will check into the purchase the of the completed series.

I thought maybe someone here at 'Stovebolt' would know what is going on with the 'Stovebolt Stroker' series over at Webrodder.com. as to why parts 1 thru 19 were removed from their website.

Squeese (Bill) are you able to pull up and view all the parts (1 thru 19) of the Stovebolt Stroker series at Webrodder.com? Because I can not. When I try they all say that they have been removed. I was just wanting to know if anybody knew why they were removed.








Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Ed, they are most certainly "in it for the money" - the page cached on the way back machine, which is the link for part 1 of the series, goes to a pretty easy to understand message: To purchase a printed version of this article click check or credit card/PayPal. ... no, I can't view the articles, nor can anyone else here, and I've pointed out the reason you can't

there are messages all over that site that you can purchase copies of whatever, it is a commercial "magazine", it is nothing like the Stovebolt ... unless you are very capable with computers, you can't even save the articles that you can read there to your hard drive, they even state such in their FAQ:
Q: Why can't I print stories?
A: There is, as you may know, a real problem with theft of intellecual property on the web. The material on WebRodder is being protected to try to prevent this. We appologise for the inconvenience but hope you understand that theft of this material is like someone stealing your paycheck. We are working on a way to allow honest readers to print while defending our means to make a living. Thank you for your understanding and patience.


as I first suggested, take it up with them

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
Bill, Thanks for your reply.
It sound like you may be connected somewhat with the people at Webrodder's, if so that is fine, I meant no disrespect and I am not out looking for anyway to steal any of the information.
And I fully understand and knew completely as to why one could not print the articles.

One thing I don't understand is how they can sell this article if this article is not listed at their website to be sold.
Being that all the information about the Stovebolt Stroker series have been pulled and nothing about the series exist for people to purchase.
This leads me to think something is not right here.
Thought maybe someone here at Stovebolt may know if something is going on with the series or why it was pulled before it's completion. (??)



I followed your link "wanna pay for it" and that link just sat there doing nothing. Then there was a link on that page that said "Impatient", so I clicked on that, that got me to a black page that just said "To purchase a printed version of this article click check or credit card/PayPal." It didn't even list what I would be purchasing. I clicked on the word 'check' and just got a black page where there was supposed to be a form to fill out, but that page was blank also, (no form).
(maybe it's my computer, I don't know)



When I go to Webrodder.com, there is nothing (at least on my computer) that shows up as to where or how to purchase copies of any of the articles.



I have followed your advise and have contacted Webrodder about my concerns and questions but as of yet received no reply.



Anyway I thank you for your time. I should just drop this from this Stovebolt forum because it is not actually the place for it now.
It started out with a question about an excellent article on the stovebolt engine and if anybody knew what happened to that article, but has ended astray with no real valid replies.

So I will end my quest for knowledge here on this matter, but I do thank you for replying.

I was going to PM this to you but you do not accept PM's.

THANKS!

Ed Graham


Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
Ed - I have nothing to do with that site - until you started this thread I had never even been there, maybe not even heard of it - I, [like most folks here] am not interested in rodding old trucks, but I have spent some time learning how the internet works and ignore sites designed to make money .... your failure to understand that the only place to find out about any sites policies and actions is that site, is why I tried to aim you at answers ... if you don't get a reply from them, then there is no answer for you, maybe time to move on to other material, like one of the dozen other rodding forums, like here or maybe here or maybe here, that don't charge for information

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Ed,

Have you checked the Webrodder activity on the Inliners BB? I recall looking at the first 12 articles, but had not checked recently. No. 13 is now the only one available on the Webrodder site.

Hoyt

Hoyt

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
ignore sites designed to make money

What, then, would Frohmader's purpose be in maintaining a huge web site, buying engines, paying machining costs, and buying parts, and doing all that work?
To perform a public service?

The idea that "everyone contributes, everyone learns" sounds nice, but it's not true. There are a few people who know enough to be helpful, but they quickly discover that there are far more people who will not do any research on their own, won't buy or read a manual, and ask questions that have been asked and answered hundreds of times. In effect, they become free expert advice, but the questioners have nothing to contribute. Many once useful sites have degenerated into noobie catfights because the knowledegable posters just get used up.

Of course, it's "designed to make money" - so is this site, by advertising and click-through fees.
My "free site" (you don't have to pay anything to read the material) costs me over $200 a month (some of which I get back from advertising and sales), and people steal from it constantly.
There is no free lunch.

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
whatever turns yer crank panic, but I think I'd hafta disagree with so is this site [as I think John and Peg would], there's a big difference in getting some help to keep it alive and "making money", and there's a big difference in having a website in support of a bricks / sticks business and one that deals in selling information with bait and switch, especially when that information is primarily opinion and discussion, like here

myself, I pay to post free sites that are ..... free, and I know people "steal" from it, even a few folks that hate me wink yes there's no free lunch, anyone that surfs the web for info pays for being here and has to invest enough energy to understand it and use it

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
You're making a distinction on how much money it makes, and whether it's a net gain?
The IRS is pretty clear that there is no difference - either you get paid from activity on the site (I do, Frohmader does, this site does), or you don't.
If you don't want to buy anything, you don't - but then, there's a limit to how much the site owner feels like doing without compensation. Frohmader may have reached his boil-over point. Mine was when some pinhead reported me for plagiarism - he claimed I stole my own material....

Not sure what you mean by "bait and switch"?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
John and Peg get paid for this insanity? more like they bring in enough to cover the expense of providing the meeting place for us - maybe - I doubt the countless hours they put in on keeping it updated and functioning in addition to their day jobs are compensated monetarily, although no doubt they have some better computer equipment at hand then they'd otherwise .... the distinction the IRS makes is profit, if you want to make more off the net than it costs you to be on it, fine by me, fine by them, just declare it and pay the tax, something few ebayers, fer instance, do wink

if Frohmader is the owner of webrodders and doesn't like providing a free information site, he should change the first line on his start page: "A completely free web magazine" - or as appears to be the case with the articles in question, not post them where they can be accessed - simple - he should also reconcile that "completely free" bit with the part I quoted from his FAQ, either it's free or it's his "means to make a living", not likely both

to me, providing some [unfinished] material "free for the looking", then offering it only for purchase is bait and switch - I have no problem with folks wanting to sell their "intellectual property", and if they think the web is a place to make a living, have at it, myself I prefer open source copyleft and creative commons and my personal business site doesn't have any copy requirements at all, I'm big on community, less so on profit

this thread started with someone who appears to not have much understanding of the net wanting to find something - I helped him as possible by aiming him at the forum he couldn't find and further pointed to a number of indications that the articles he was looking for are no longer available, at least for free, no need to get on my case about your problems as a book seller, talk to him about his "theft intentions" ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Why don't you two argue by PM? I highly doubt anyone else is interested in this crap.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 45
"talk to him about his "theft intentions"
?????????????????????

As I stated earlier, "I am not out looking for anyway to steal any of the information".

If any information in on the net for people read and to look at then there is no "theft" involved.

Ed

Last edited by OldFart-Ed; 08/02/2010 5:18 AM.
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
zactly, note the quotes wink splain to panic

suprised Cletis didn't boot this to the spoon long b4 it got to the 2nd page ohwell

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
If any information in on the net for people read and to look at then there is no "theft" involved.

Ask your lawyer why this is completely wrong.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0