The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (elhippie64, TUTS 59, Gdads51, 3800GUY, 68ironhead), 87 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,302
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what manual transmissions will work with an open driveline and bolt up to the stock 216 bellhousing for a 1950 pickup?
Thanks,
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
Hi Bob,

I don't know much, 'cept that I put a T5 behind mine. I also know I have a 4speed(granny first) from a '60 (opendriveline) that was behind a 235 taking up space in the shop. Also got a 3 speed from a '59 (thanks Photo!) sitting around. All will bolt up to you're 216 bellhousing.
If you want/are going to use that three speed or four, chances are you can get either off my hands real easy.

Good Luck.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
Thanks Colin, have to finalize my plans for the truck but I may be interested in one of those. Think the 3 spd would work with a column shifter?
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
An SM420 should work, as should the old "coffee grinder" fourspeed from the 30's and early to mid 40's -- so long as you've got one from a 3/4 ton or larger.

A 3 speed from a late fifties model (SM318?) should do the trick too.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Most any GM manual used behind a straight six or a V-8 from '55 on should be workable, some with more work than others.

If you want a 3-speed I'd look for one of the later ones that has syncros in all three gears.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Hey Bob,
You're reminding me I've still got that 1956 3 speed stuck to the back of my 261 that I don't need. I don't know if it has a syncro first though.

Curt


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
I forgot you had that transmission. I'm not sure how to tell if it has a syncro first though. The newer 3 speed I have won't bolt onto the bellhousing I got from you.


1950 Chevrolet 1300
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
A '56 3 speed won't have a syncro first gear. That wasn't adopted until the mid '60 (66?). Most likely it's an SM318, which uses a slider gear for first and reverse. A way to tell if it's a '55-early'56 or late '56-up is by the shifter cover, the 55- early '56 use a seal that looks like a small axle seal, the late '56-up uses O-rings.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
learn to do a search on ??? subject.
if you keep it simple and use key words more info will 'pop'up
>>> transmission or sm (short for sm420 or 465 tranny) or T5, or T56

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=012148#000001

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=012135#000000

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=012032#000000

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011748#000000

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011640#000011

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000953;p=2#000059

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011540#000000

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010333;p=1#000000


and there is TONS more info


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 439
The three speed is set up for column and still has the linkages.

Good Luck.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
To all you guys offering all those transmissions - I guess I'm in the wrong province!!


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 65
That's one good thing about Alberta, lots of old trucks to pick parts off of. Should be able to find SM420's just about anywhere though, they were used for a long time.
Decided to go with Colin's SM420, gives me the low first and sychro 2-4. Think it should work well with a rear ratio in the low 3's.
Bob


1950 Chevrolet 1300

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0