The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663940 07/20/2010 11:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Can someone help me determine what color my truck was...? The photo is of the firewall with what looks like original paint. I am guessing Windsor blue, but could it be Mariner blue? Original color?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

It is hard to tell from a photo, but it it looks like Windsor Blue to me, too. Mariner Blue is a dark Navy Blue color.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
As part of my restoration project of my COE, I took an autobody class at the local community college. My project was to restore my fenders. My truck is mostly rust colored but was originally black. Not sure that I want a very large black truck, so I painted the fenders Mariner Blue, to see if I would like it. As Tim said, it is impossible to tell from a photo that is displayed on a computer monitor, but I would guess that your firewall is faded Mariner Blue. The best way to tell is to get ahold of a paint chip and compare it directly to the best preserved and buffed area of your firewall. I am sitting here comparing your color to my paint chips in my '51 Truck Data Book. I really think Windsor Blue would be much lighter and have a tint of grey but only you will know for sure.


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I'd now go with judgment of Lightholder's Dad.

Here are both paint chips (Ditzler/PPG).

Here are some very faded DUPONT paint chips. The faded originals and the enhanced renditions are both a distortion.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Looking at the the shade of the rust compared to the paint, my money would be on Mariner Blue. Windsor Blue is pretty light. Clean up a spot real well and use some rubbing compound to get the oxidation off and you'll get a much better idea.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Thanks all. Mariner blue would definately be my preference, but wanted to stay original. When I get a chance to start the restoration, I will take some rubbing compound to the firewall before posting another photo for a followup oppinion.

Last edited by DavidF; 07/23/2010 4:31 PM.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 493
Mariner Blue would be my guess. I would pull the voltage regulator or the blank plate that covers the big hole for the heater and see what it looks like under there.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
There was also Transport blue.


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I think that DavidF is referring to an original 1952 truck exterior color. Transport Blue became available in 1953 - Windor Blue was used through 1952.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
Ok, I didn't see where he said what year it was.


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0