The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (PAUL Berardi, Jon G, JW51), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663693 07/19/2010 8:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Don't kill me for the cheesy blush title. It's pretty much accurate for how the weekend was in terms of work pace and progress made.

This Saturday morning the Burb was finally stripped down to it's bare bones with just the main body on the frame.

Front pic of bare body

Side view of the bare body

The sun baked rusty roof

The goal for the weekend was to get the main body down to bare metal inside and out and then primed in one coat of etch primer followed by a two coats of normal light build primer.

Reason for all this is to stop sever rust to form from the sun baked surface rust due our humid weather in the UK (although it's bone dry at the moment). I also wanted see what was under all that rattle can primer.

So by Sunday lunch time I was finished, all paint and rust removal done either with Irwin FACE-OFF wheels (basically a 3M clean and strip wheel) or with a 4" wire-brush cup wheel.

The roof looks a lot nicer now in bare metal with no rust.

Same with the body, here from left front

Original steps in very good condition

Just a few more pics

Right side

Dash and floor right

Firewall


So now its time to paint it with the etch primer.

Here is how it looks Sunday evening

Left side


Dash

Floor


Step

So didn't manage quite right so Monday morning it's continuation and here is the result by afternoon tea time wink - in two coats of light build buff primer.

Again the front view

Firewall

Left side

Floor

Step

Inside right, and now I will not fix the dents in the wheelhouse since I will cover it in a carpet.. well not going 110% stock smile

Another interior shot

Lastly the roof


From here on it's light bondo work, then recoat of those areas in etch/light fill primer and then finally a wet sand of the whole body until it's smooth.

Yep also doing some welding in the dash and lower inner section of the door pillar. Waiting for the patch panel and when it comes it out with the protective blanket smile.

The Burb will be pretty stock except for the carpet in the back and non std bench seats in the back.

Burbly Dyna

PS: Yes painted in the tent, doesn't really matter to much with primer since you will sand it down anyways. The garage is not big enough for the Burb anyways so no I have ordered a sealed (with floor and all) tent that is 40' x 14' where I will paint the the topcoat..



Last edited by dyn_ares; 07/19/2010 8:17 PM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Never seen anyone work that hard and that fast. I know how much work that is. Bravo, indeed!! you will have a fine Suburban when finished, Good job Dyna!


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Awesome job and that is some great progress. Looking forward to more updates.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
That's not a cheesy title, I did nothing to my panel this weekend, not even in the last several months.
Looks good!

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 23
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 23
With progress like that, I thought I was watching Overhauling with Chip Foose ( restoring vehicle in a week). Nice work and keep up the great pace.

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 226
how many people are helping on this project? you must have a mini army of like 15 to 20 by the looks of it.


Poets Seat Auto
Appraisals, Parts, Service
Past: General Motor's Master Technician
Member: Northeast Chevy/GMC Truck Club
Phone Number: 413.774.5856
Collector of: 1951 Army Chevy Burb barn door,53 GMC COE,two 1934 Chevy Truck,1935 Chevy Army Truck.1950 Gmc Suburban clamshell these are just my chevy/gmc trucks.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...WHEW, I know one thing. Just looking at the pics makes me tired. I think I'm gonna go lay on da couch.

Nice work. Do it once, do it right. But gosh, how do you do it so fast!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
wink you folks are funny. To answer some of it:

Sorry I'm not a relative to Mr Foose, nor do I have any affiliation the the aforementioned show :P

I do not own mini army although I do own a classic Mini or two smile. I would been very handy with a small army but the budget even for a banana republic army is still not within my reach.

Finlay I don't need pictures to get tired, I am tired smile.

Seriously thanks for all the kind words, I will for sure keep you folks updated. I'm aiming for paint of the main body by mid next week if things goes to plan.

The reminder of this week I will do restfull stuff like sorting out and cataloging things that will go to:

* zinc clear chromate (as a sub for cad plating)
* chrome plating
* powder coating

Lots of small fun things to do smile

Burbly Dyna


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0