| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,646 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 38 | So here's my story, I have a 59 apache short box fleetside that I am in the middle of restoring. I am at the point where the engine (235) is in the chasis with the trans hooked up, it looks pretty awesome. Now I have to decide how to give him life, alt, dist, carb and headers. I am leaning towards 65 amp alt. the Langdon mini HEI. I'm not sure on the headers and at the moment I have the stock carb. The engine has an RV cam in it and is a fresh rebuild. I am looking for any ideas you might have on putting together the best combination for power and reliability. Part numbers would be great.thanks guys
Last edited by leftfield; 07/11/2010 7:29 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | what engine? what will you use it for? don't really get a lot more power without sacrificing something, which is more important, the power or the reliability and gas mileage? the factory got the combo about right - my 58 with a rebuilt 283, points dist, 2 barrel and ramshorns has been trouble free for years, and as strong as needed to drive daily, work hard and go faster than the law allows .... if you've got the 235, well, I had a 57 bone stock, never opened up, and it was as hard workin and reliable as the 58  Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 38 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 38 | Hi Bill, thanks for the reply, the engine is a 235 and it will be a part time daily driver but not really hauling anything. I will occasionally take it on road trips, 300 to 500 miles per day. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I'd keep'er stock, if the trips are highway, might look for an OD trans or consider the 3.38 rear gears to keep RPMs down with better top speed, but the ol thang's got enough power to keep ahead of normal traffic - and an alternator is nice, only takes finding mounting pieces from newer GM 6's
Nill | | |
| |
| |