| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 7 | Hey Guys,
I removed the large fender mount turn signals from my '51 3600 and went with a dual filament setup in the parking lights. Works fantastic.
I'm going to buy a small piece of metal to cut slugs and butt weld in the holes on top of the fenders and was wondering if anyone knows what gauge of steel stock fenders might be?
Thanks!
Last edited by Uncle Wes; 07/09/2010 5:58 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 | My body guy used 18 gauge for some small patches, MAR-K's website says their parts are 16 gauge. Hope that helps. Mike My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man! 1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed1965 C-30 Panel Truck 1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | If the bed panels are 16, I'd suggest 18 because from what I can tell the bed is thicker than the body panels. For just plugging a hole I don't think it's all that important. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 169 | From the factory the bedsides were thicker metal.
Now on the other hand most all other exterior sheet metal parts were stamped in 19 gauge metal. I have 4 sets of complete fenders and each one is 19 gauge metal, hoods are 19 ga,
Today many metal suppliers dont carry 19 ga metal, so you need to get either 18 or 20.
If might be able to see if your local supplier could mic the metal or if they sell drops or scraps, mic the 18ga and see if you can find a sheet in the low range.
Metal thickness is NOT constant, they have tolerance limits, so you might get lucky and get a piece of 18 ga that measures pretty darn close to the stock 19 ga thickness.
18 ga metal is around .048 19 ga is around .042
Eric
Last edited by sevt_chevelle; 07/11/2010 1:56 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I bought a digital micrometer from Harbor Freight. It comes in handy it these sort of questions.
~Jim
| | |
| |
| |