The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian, Gdads51, BC59, Cletus1950, cmayna, 3800GUY), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#660499 07/07/2010 10:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
I
New Guy
New Guy
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Hi all! smile

I have been doing a lot of research, and probably just confusing myself (haha) but I am wondering a few things about bodywork.

A) What are the best ways to strip a crappy paint job off (once I get to that stage) so that I can reach bare metal? I basically want to stay with the flat black, but wondering what resources to look at.

Photo of truck


B) What are some of the best methods to get out minor dents and dings along the body? I see so many options but just get lost in it all!


Thanks you for your help smile I quite appreciate it!


Last edited by icanhazmetalgrrl; 07/07/2010 10:38 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 116
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 116
I'm a novice at this but I sent my panels to a sand blaster... As for dents and dings.... I have been using hammer and dolly to get close then using a shrinking disc... Takes time but I don't want to have a bondo mobile...

My 2 cents


http://www.flickr.com/photos/50657267@N08/sets/

1939 1/2 ton Resto-mod
1937 1 1/2 ton Is in the driveway
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
About two years ago I bought a Wagner Paint Eater just for laughs and it turned out to be one of the best tools I've used. It's easy to handle and rips through paint and bondo with ease. I've stripped my entire truck (minus the bed) with two disks and wouldn't think of using anything else.

At that time I caught a lot of flack because it was new and untested. Since then the same disks have become available for angle grinders and more and more guys have discovered them.

Highly recommended... PHOTOS
ANOTHER PHOTO

As for tiny dings and dents, Rage Gold and a lot of careful block sanding should do just fine. Nothing wrong with a little filler if you're not good at metal finishing.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
I
New Guy
New Guy
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Thank you so much! Both great ideas smile

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

ditto on the Wagner Paint Eater. I bought one after reading Woody's recommendation about a year ago. It is superb (thanks, Woody).

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
I was able to buy Norton Paint Stripper wheels for my angle grinder, they look very similar to the Wagner's in Woody's photo and work great, I used them to strip the frame and running boards. Got mine at Home Depot, $9.97.
Mike


My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man!
1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed

1965 C-30 Panel Truck
1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I took advise of Woody and bought Wagner's tool. It is awesome, I stripped porbably most of the truck. The only issue I had was some areas those discs cannot reach and I started using Wire wheel on Angle grinder and turned out to be my best option so far and cheap. I buy wire wheels from HF for 4 bucks each compared to 14 bucks from HD or Lowes. And by the way Northern tool 20$ angle grinder is great deal comes with few wheels as well. I used one day close to 7 hrs. in cleaning my truck and just kept working. HF only broke in few uses.

My 2 cents.

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I had a couple close calls with power wire brushes. I had my shirt wrapped up twice by the things and the way they throw wire led me to look for an alternative.

I quit using wire brushes and switched to NYALOX brushes and found they are very effective at getting paint and bondo out of crevices.

I found that the flap brush and 4" mandrel mounted ones in gray (coarse) work best for that purpose. I also found that the blue (fine grit) are VERY handy for scuffing the surface of patch panels in preparation for paint... especially the floorboards, inner cowl panels and other things with lots of crevices. PICTURE

The only tools I used to strip my entire truck down to bare metal (see my photos) were the Wagner and Nyalox. No sloppy chemicals or the mess of blasting, just sweep up the dust.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Wear a respirator.

There is nasty stuff in that dust.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 169
A search would bring up some info posted before about dent repair...Eric


Currently working on custom metal and How to videos.

1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
70 chevelle SS455
Pictures of my work and projects
http://community.webshots.com/user/sevt_chevelle
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
I
New Guy
New Guy
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Thanks again everyone. Looks like I will get that wagner tool.
Yes, I hate wire brushes. Being a welder I come home with wires sticking out of my clothing and skin sometimes. I look like pinhead. HAHA!

Thanks Eric - I have done searches but find the searches really pull up some unrelated stuff most of the time. Very vague, and so I hope everyone doesn't mind me asking! smile

Thanks again!



Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0