The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shaffer's1950, mick53, Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen, 1 invisible), 71 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#583796 10/16/2009 12:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
Hi guys pizza man here with a question. Is there a way to either add anything to my brake system to make the truck stop easier. Since I converted to pizza truck. the truck ways 12,300 lbs and stopping is not 100%. It stops fine but you have to step on the pedal hard to stop quick. Thanks, Jack www.oldworldpizzatruck.com

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy jack02, does your truck have a hydrovac in its braking system? If it does, it doesn't sound like it's working. If it doesn't already have a hydrovac, then I would install one. Hope that helps.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
I have a 46 2 ton that I was worried about. After getting everything healthy, it really stops good! The stock hydorvacs work well.

I haven't done this yet, but I would think you could add a more modern brake booster to the truck with the addition of a fabricated braket to hold it in place. I plan on doing this in the near future to one of my cabovers that is getting modern running gear.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
Hi there,

What and where would the hydrovac be?? Thanks

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Underneath the passenger side of the cab. At the rear of the cab. [url=http://][/url] [color:#993399][/color]

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
The Hydrovac is basically an early brake booster which simularly works with vacuum. They actually have rebuilt ones, somebody told me, at Napa. I know you can order them, probably thru a local brake shop. The only problem is..is without a core, they are a bit pricy...so I hear. I haven't purchased one yet.

Mine on my 47 Deco COE is actually located at the rear of the drivers side of the cab. Black cylindrical can about the size of a small bucket.

If this isn't 'clickable' then copy it and type it into the address bar of you internet explorer.

http://vehiclesofvictory.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/chevy-hydrovac1.jpg

Maybe somebody will post a picture of one mounted.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
are there any disc brake conversions out there???????????????

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Neat truck ya got there, not something ya see every day! smile

1st & easiest thing you can do is check the adjustment on the brake shoes. Less gap between the shoe and the drum = less fluid needed to push them. Sometimes adjusting the shoes and a quick bleed can make a lot of difference.

I have a '56 2-ton dump truck, after getting everything back to factory standards it will stop very quickly with a full load. Making sure everything is adjusted and the booster is functioning properly makes a lot of difference.

Disc conversion is a possibility, but the cost & availability of parts,... It's not as easy as it sounds, someone else here has more info on your year model I'm sure.
However, a more immediate help could be converting from HydroVac, asuming yours is even working properly, to a Hydro-Booster. There's a bit of info on here about that trick as well.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 54
i dont have either


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0