The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Joe H, moparguy), 118 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 32
I bought a king pin set from one of the chevy parts suppliers. The factory service manual mentions a roller bearing between the axle and the spindle. The set I recieved does not contain a bearing but some copper colored shims and cups that these fit into. Can these be used or should I find a set that has bearings in it. That part number on the box is #K484.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Both are correct, but as for which is better I am not sure. I have the bearing type, which I have not installed yet. From looking at where the grease comes into these kingpin assemblies, I have hard time imagining how the bearing is going to get greased effectively. I will grease them well before installation anyway. When I took the old kingpin assemblies apart on my truck I had a bearing-type on one side and the washer-type on the other side. The bearing type was frozen-up without any grease in it to be seen anywhere, but the washer type bearing still had grease between them and moved well. I purchased this truck 1.5 years ago and I have no idea how well these kingpin assemblies were maintained.


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0