| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 301 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 301 | Hey everybody, asking for 'what would you do?' input. I'm working on a 49' 3600 that still has the original split rims. I'm planning on keeping the truck as stock as possible but unsure of hanging on those time bombs.....I've heard alot of bad about them. Not to mention most shops won't touch them anymore. If I were to swap out them out....recomendations that would stay as close as possible to a stock appearance? They are 8 lug too.
1949 Chevy 3600 1975 W-25 Hurst Olds 1970 GMC 1/2 ton Fleetside 2010 Chevy Silverado
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 49 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 49 | Try and find something that is the same, over very close, but non-split rims. I've heard the horror stories too, and it seems much too chancy to play dice with. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | There is a lot of information in the search area about wheels and that is where is where I suggest you look first. Use the word wheels as your primary search and I think you'll be surprised as there are always a lot of questions since the "split rim" designation is very misunderstood. One of our contributors (Grigg) is very knowledgable about wheels and has written a Tech Article feature which you'll find listed on the homepage.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | For a 3/4 ton try some 16" tubeless wheels off newer (than your) Chevy, ford, and Dodge trucks and vans. I don't have a direct answer, but see what you find that fits over your brake drums and clears everything. Many of these wheels have similar looking centers to your original wheels, some even with hubcap clips if you find old enough ones. | | |
| |
| |