The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, kbenz, MNSmith), 161 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Ive now ordered 2 differnt clutches without success for my 216 HD transmission. The first kit came from Chevy Duty (Classic Parts) and it was too small. The second clutch appears in the photo... The second clutch appears to be 9 bolts, but arrived as 6 bolts and the clutch wouldnt fit by itself.

My transmission mechanic has it opened up so i dont have any time. Nobody in the cincy area had one in stock and Chevy duty doesnt carry it. My mecahnic doesnt recommend i get a rebuilt clutch.

I just cant afford to keep ordering more clutches until i get one that fits.

Can someone please tell me who knows exactly who can get me a replacement for a 216 HD clutch?
Thanks! Kevin

Last edited by chevnky; 06/19/2010 11:52 PM.

'51 Chevrolet 3100 216 5-Window
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644



Found You're 9 bolt 11inch clutch item no.4936 and659,Call Heavy Chevy at

1-800-297-9694

And there is nothing wrong with a rebuilt clutch


Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 06/20/2010 5:17 AM.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Have you checked Carquest & Napa. They can get parts overnight from their warehouses. I'm with Ky's mechanic. I won't use a rebuilt clutch anymore if a new one is available. They are very inconsistent. Sometimes they take too much pressure to push in & other times they are too soft. They grind away material on the plate surface & when the lining is half worn down it starts slipping.

Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 06/20/2010 2:42 PM.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Agree with Wrenchbender, always ask at your local FLAPS before ordering parts online. I needed a distributor cap for the 1940 Dodge and wasted hours looking for one online. I was in the parts store the other day for some tune-up parts for another car and ask about it. They found it in a book with a clear picture so I could see it was the right one, and I had it the next day.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
It's true... these local places have parts for cars and trucks that go back a lot farther than you thought. I bought a waterpump for a 216 from NAPA last year.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I have 52 AD with 216 3/4 ton 4 speed, I dont know if it is HD or not but I had same problem finding the whole clutch kit and I always got wrong parts. In AutoZone they have 1946 1 TON clutch 10 3/4 inches, only the clutch plate for ~ 50 bucks, 1/8 10 spline. Perfect match for the original.

Rest all was futile tries.

My 2 cents

Ganesh

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Hello Fried,
I see in your post you have a 1940 Dodge. If you will send me your email,
I will send you a very interesting article & photo's of a 1940 Dodge Barn find.
Harold
[email protected]


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0