The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#655375 06/17/2010 3:21 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
Has any body paid close attention to taper wheel bearing kits that come from several suppliers for the 47 to 53 truck? Where were the bearings made? Only answers I get(from the three suppliers I called) is "I think they are made in Taiwan". I have enough experience with bearings to know I do not want Taiwan bearings. That is like the cheap crap that comes on low end trailer axles when buying a new trailer. Most guys, that really need the trailer, immediately take them out and get good Timken bearings. Is there a number on the bearing? I am thinking about doing the machine work myself and sizing new Timken bearings if Taiwan junk is all that is available.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
If the ball bearings are in good shape I see no reason to change. Cleaned and properly greased they will give many years of good service. You might check with the Fiiling Station they used to have a good selection of new and nos parts.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I believe these are the correct numbers and all may be National. I bought mine from Classic Parts and later discovered this information. A quick check at your local FLAPS should verify.

Inner: 909052R
Outer: 909067R
Seal: National 6064


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21
Yeah I don't know why the ball bearings wouldn't be serviceable. I mean they worked for years. What is all the hype about changing to taper roller bearings just because of disc brakes? Why wouldn't the other bearings take it? I did change to disc brakes six lug. I plan to drive her a great deal. Czechman, are those part numbers for ball bearings or rollers?

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by 1947six
Czechman, are those part numbers for ball bearings or rollers?

I don't know for sure but I believe they are for the roller bearings. It's been years since I found that information posted here.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The six-lug disk kits use the original hub and therefore the original ball bearings can be used.

The five-lug kits use an integrated hub/rotor that was designed to use roller bearings.

If you are going with a six-lug kit and your bearings are serviceable there would be no reason to replace them. Going with a five-lug kit you may have no choice but to convert to rollers.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0