The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 18
My recently purchased '58 Apache stepside is finally running and on the road, but I could use some advise from you guys about my clutch/transmission. A mechanic who inspected the vehicle says the throw out bearing is dry/worn and will need replacing. The truck is a 4 speed with granny gear. Starting out in second gear from a stop is a bit of a challenge letting the clutch out very slowly especially at the last bit and feeding just the right amount of gas to avoid the truck bucking, same thing in reverse. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th no issues. I understand working on the throw out bearing means taking out the transmission. I can't do this work myself, so if I take it to this mechanic he will drop the tranny and do the clutch work and send the transmission to a shop that works only on standard transmissions. I'm looking long term, so any work that I can do now to avoid problems down the road is the approach I would like to take.

So, my questions are:
1) Should I just replace the clutch (he's talking about resurfacing if that's all he thinks it needs)
2) What other work should I consider having done while the transmission is out of the truck.

Any and all suggestions, the more specific the better, so I can explain to him exactly what I would like done, would be greatly appreciated. You all have been fantastic helping with questions about my truck. Thanks - Al


1958 Chevy Apache 3200
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
1. replace the complete "clutch kit" - pressure plate, disc, throw out and bushing, resurface the flywheel - no point in going to all the trouble [& cost] of going in there just to replace a throwout
2. other than checking the rear engine mounts for deterioration, that'll take care of it, no need to spend money on the trans, other than flushing it out and changing the lube in it

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by squeeze
1. replace the complete "clutch kit" - pressure plate, disc, throw out and bushing, resurface the flywheel - no point in going to all the trouble [& cost] of going in there just to replace a throwout

Bill

Absolutely...


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0