| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,375 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | The 58 GMC I have has a 235 in it with a jury rig motor mount. I've got to replace the mount so maybe something better than a piece of flat steel bolted to the cross member. What have others done to accomplish this. Thanks Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | The 'old style' front mount is available, long strip of thick rubber and may have a steel core also. Or if your 235 has the side mount holes you may opt for bolting something to the side.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | I've got the front clip pulled off now while I take care of some termites and I think I'll pull engine and replace a few gaskets while I'm at it. Some time in the past the 270 was removed and a plate was cut out with torch, didn't even clean the slag, a just 2 bolts through the cross member with the stock mount sitting on it. It sits low enough to see that the drive shaft isn't straight. I see that stock mount in the Bobs chevy truck catalogue think I'll order one an go from there. Thanks Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | You could change the front crossmember to the chevy one. But if it were me, I would try to find a 270 or 302. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I agree. Finding a 270 or 302 would be ideal and replacing that cut crossmember is only work not science. Its a shame to have that little Chevy in a proud GMC.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | Cross member isn't cut. They just cut a piece of flat steel and bolted it to the top of the cross member. Does the GMC in 58 have a different cross member than the Chevy. I remember looking at a beautiful 1956 GMC here in Richmond Va and his cross member didn't look anything like mine. Of course he had the axel on the front with somekind of extra coil sping arrangement on the ends of his front axel where the king pins were. As for a 270 or a 302 I think if I were to take out the 235, which runs like a clock just needs seals, I'd have to find me a small block, maybe an old 283, I loved those things back in the 70's.
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Yeah I like the old 283s too. I'm not sure its the choice I'd make but its one I understand. I have one in a back corner and am thinking about putting it in something in the next year.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Does the GMC in 58 have a different cross member than the Chevy.
The 58-59 gmc has a different crossmember than both the 55-57 gmc trucks and the 55-59 chevy trucks. Swapping the crossmember with a chevy one will allow you to mount the chevy motor like a chevy.
As for your choice of a 283, not my cup of tea. I built a 59 pontiac 389 for my 59 gmc with 3 deuces. Since my truck was an original v8 truck it was a drop in deal. This weekend I fired up the 302 for my 1940 gmc for the first time ever. It ran perfectly with the 5 deuce manifold. Anybody can put a small block into any vehicle, in fact they do that everyday. The 270s and 302s are tough motors, and have a cool factor that is off the charts. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 362 | Well its a long ways to finish so I'll keep my eyes open for a little something different in the engine department but in the mean time the 235 will stay. I've got a lot of work to do to get this back to the street again. Thanks for all your input. Larry
58 gmc 100 with 350 sbc
| | |
| |
| |