The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (CuzzFuzz, 39Master85, Ponchogl, WICruiser, Otto Skorzeny), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,345
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
I am looking at a very nice military truck. It looks to be a Forest Service relic.

It is gas with an automatic transmission that shifts into neutral below 14mph. How deep am I going to have to dig (money wise) to get it fixed or find a replacement (manual or automatic).

Are there really any replacement parts out there? Will I have to drive halfway across the country to get it? Will I be obligated to offer up my first born as payment?


1946 Chevy 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Flickr

1966 Chevrolet L60
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
__________________________
Whoa! That can't be right!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I would expect the motor is a GMC 302 and the transmission is a Hydra-Matic. If I'm correct parts for both are out there. I'd suggest letting the UPS man do most the driving though.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276

This truck would have had a 4 or 5 speed manual in it originally so the automatic is a swap and maybe the engine as well. Without know what transmission and or engine was swapped in to the truck, knowing if parts are available is impossible.
There are however places that deal exclusively in military trucks and many web sites if you are thinking of purchasing the truck there is plenty of info out there. I would suggest doing some home work and surely there is more info to be had from the guys here. I can’t think of any names off hand but there are a few here on the Bolt whom are big military truck buffs I know that they will be along with more and better knowledge than I.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
I am not sure Steve although I know that the Hydra-Matic was in use and now all the military trucks are autos, I am not sure it made it into any Duces
BTW Hello wave


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
my grandpa has been the coordinator of his counties civil defence, now call EMA (emergency management agency) since the early 60's and had 5 of the 6X6's. he had them from the 1972ish to the early 90's the only reason he got rid of them was the price of parts. they were all 1953 GMC auto trans, I think either m211 or m135??? anyway there are LOTS of parts out there and the prices arent that bad if you only have one truck. look up the MVPA magazine its a great source. they are great trucks so go for it. shoot me a PM and I can give you some more info.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
From looking at the pictures closer...It looks to be a later vintage transmission. We had Allisons with a shifter that looked like this in a couple mid-seventies C60's.

The pictures can be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imakatzenjammer/sets/72157624102364754/


1946 Chevy 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Flickr

1966 Chevrolet L60
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
__________________________
Whoa! That can't be right!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 116
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 116
That looks like the original GMC engine to me. A 228-302 for sure. I couldn't see any photo of the transmission. The GMC engines were puny on horsepower but VERY reliable, and parts are very easy to get for them. My 2cents. Jim

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 41
Thank you all. For now it is going to stay put. If someone wants it, let me know, I'll put them in touch with the owner.

Kevin


1946 Chevy 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Flickr

1966 Chevrolet L60
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr
__________________________
Whoa! That can't be right!
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,725
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,725
Jammer,

That's an M-211 series 2.5-ton truck. The tranny is most likely the original 8-speed Hydromatic which I think is still not too hard to find parts for (some of the others who know more about the early autos can tell you more). The M-211 (and M135's) replaced the WW 2 CCKW trucks and were produced from 1952-1957. The engine is a GMC model 302, 6 cyl, in-line 301.6 cu in, 130 hp gasoline engine.

That one looks pretty solid. Do a search for the military vehicle sites (a few are listed on our own Links Page). That's not as exotic as you might think. Do some more research before you categorically turn it down -- especially if the price is right wink

Good luck

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0